[SOLVED] Download to HDD

Nov 12, 2018
Hello. I am trying to figure out how to download programs to my HDD instead of my SSD. My SSD has my OS on it. I know this has been asked before but I'm hoping someone can help me. I have looked at the forums about it, and it doesn't really make sense to me... Some people say something about changing user directory to do this... I'm not too confident to go messing around with that on my own based on an old forum post, and I don't want to revive old posts by commenting on them... just hoping creating my own post where I can ask questions would be ok.

Anyway... what I'm asking is... I am trying to keep my SSD clear of downloading things on it. I just recently reinstalled Windows because everything was downloading to the SSD and not the HDD and my SSD become full. Now, I know that some programs put a little on the C drive, and that's cool... but EVERYTHING I download goes straight to the SSD and during installation, there isn't any option to change locations. I had assumed that maybe I was just unlucky and downloading the programs that didn't have the option to... but it's every single thing I install.

Is there a way to redirect things to the HDD?

When installing desktop apps you could select a different disk during the setup process (installation options screen). You will have the choice of selecting a "Destination Folder" which allows you to choose a separate disk to copy the installation files.
Windows Store apps requires that you change the option in Settings.
Go to System, click on Apps & features and select the app you want to move.
Click the Move button and Select the destination disk from the drop-down menu.
Click the Move button to move the app.

Even though most apps files will be move or copy to the chosen disk, there are still files that will be copied to the main disk on your system.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
When you download any file directly, you are asked where to save.
Some applications have an option where to save on their setup menu. (JDownloader comes to my mind)

Generally speaking, you can change your Downloads folder location.
Open your File Explorer. Click on Quick Access and see Downloads folder. Right click on it and select Properties. On Location tab select your target drive.

Nov 12, 2018
Thank you all for replying. I may have worded it wrong... just now I reinstalled Microsoft 365. The downloader went to the HDD (Setup.X86.en-us_O365ProPlusRetail_030555a0-ec69-4455-a026-5e38fe22bdc0_TX_PR_b_64_.exe) but when I ran that it installed on my SSD and there was no option to change the destination to install the full program to the HDD. Word, Excel, One Note, Outlook, and Power Point all went to the SSD.

So far what I have tried downloading back to my computer since reinstalling Windows 8.1 on it has been Office 365 (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, One Note), Google Chrome, Discord, Battle.net, and the Twitch Desktop app. All of the downloader/setup.exe have went to the Downloads folder on the HDD but when installing that's where I'm stuck. I haven't gotten an option to choose the location to download any programs to. I am trying to download them to the HDD to keep the SSD clean and for the OS, but there has been no option to choose and just automatically goes on the SSD... apart from the things that are required to be on the C drive.

I'm terribly sorry for having to ask so much. I do have all of the folders locations redirected to the HDD.. like Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
OK...that Office 365 exe WILL install to the SSD ( C drive), with no option of changing it.
There is nothing wrong with that.

You do want most applications on the SSD. That's why we have them, for the speed aspect.
Installing your applications on an HDD loses 1/2 of the benefit of having the SSD.

"download" does not mean "install". When you save the setup files from the internet, that is downloading. When you are running the setup, that is installing. Using the wrong term will be confusing as to what you are doing.

You should see a custom option or some similar thing to select when you run the program setup, in there you will be able to change the installation location. Or just get a larger SSD, most people recommend at least a 250GB one to prevent issues like this. Even a 120 GB drive is more than enough for Windows and a bunch of programs. Only issue you may run into is if you start installing larger games on it.