Download using two network interfaces

viragon

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Hi,

I have 2 network interfaces connected to the same router/gateway and subnet... I want to know how can I use maybe "Internet Download Manager" to create mutiple connections on both interfaces because both interfaces bottleneck the total throughput of my internet connection a bit...

Unlikely you will get it to work without a router that can support 2 different networks. Not sure how you managed to get your PC configured the way you did normally you get a errors message if you attempt it unless you are running virtual machines or something. Your design violates the whole concept of how subnet masks work.

Still lets say you can get the 2 interfaces to talk to the router on 2 different subnets and you somehow manage to get around the issue of only being able to have a single default route. What good will it do you when can already exceed the internet speed with just a single interface.

The thing people mainly do with 2 interfaces is connect one to the internet and a second to say a backup or streaming network that they do not want exposed to the internet.

viragon

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

I'm only using the default subnet 255.255.255.0 and one interface is an WiFi Adapter using fixed IP address and the other interface is Fast Ethernet Wired also using fixed IP address, but I can't manage to get the full speed of my internet connection through WiFi and in Fast Ethernet is the same thing because is not a cable connected directly to the router, it's an powerline adapter as a bridge to the router with very bad latency.

Even if you get both interfaces active it will likely always use the ethernet one. In the settings for the network devices there is a field that you tell it which has more priority. You pretty much have to choose. I suspect you could misconfigure it in some way so both are active but it still won't work because of how IP works. To make it simple I will ignore that addresses are natted. So if you were to go to your bank with the IP on your wireless it will be fine but not as fast as you like so you now send data on the ethernet also. The bank now received data from 2 different IP trying to access the same account and it will decide this is someone trying to hack the account and disconnect the session. It works similar with NAT but is to complex to describe here.

There is no simple way to do what you want. What you want to do is called port bonding. This allows a single IP to represent both connections. You need special software on both the PC and the router. The router software is the tough part. I would think you could try multilink PPP. Still the latency is very different between your 2 connection which causes massive problems for port bonding.

viragon

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

All right, but I don't need this much bandwidth to use the bank online, anyway. That would only truly benefit me when I'm trying to download a file in multiple parts from a public ftp server or uploading files at same time trying to download some...
I would like to know if, as an example, 2 parts of a file could be downloaded through Fast Ethernet and another 6 parts could be download through WiFi, many download manager already download files in multiple parts, but at least the ones I have tried are just using one active network interface to do so. I think the difference between this and your example is that these are connections being made in more than one interface at same time, but not data packets from a single connection being distributed between these interfaces.

Maybe but its going to be a challenge. If you could download different parts of the file from different server addresses you could point 1 address at one interface and the other to the other. There is not a lot you can if there is only 1 address for the server. The internet always works on the BEST path which mean a single IP can only have 1 BEST path from your to them.

Not sure if there is software that will let you direct one application or instance of the application to one nic and the other instance to a different nic. I know you can have whole virtual machines and assign them different nic cards.

blenderman10

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
Maybe but its going to be a challenge. If you could download different parts of the file from different server addresses you could point 1 address at one interface and the other to the other. There is not a lot you can if there is only 1 address for the server. The internet always works on the BEST path which mean a single IP can only have 1 BEST path from your to them.

Not sure if there is software that will let you direct one application or instance of the application to one nic and the other instance to a different nic. I know you can have whole virtual machines and assign them different nic cards.

i was looking for a solution to bind one software to use certain network adapter and i found one .

Force Bind ip is the app that wil let you do that .

of course this post is too old but i thought someone may need answer

TRENDING THREADS