Downloaded CPU-Z to see what it said about my memory...

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
https://imgur.com/a/TvxJVmc

G-SKILL AEGIS 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz (XMP Profile - had to set as it was 2133Mhz at build or something)

ASRock Z390 Extreme4 LGA 1151 motherboard

be quiet! Shadow Rock TF2 cooler (overhangs RAM)

My friend and I built the PC and we installed the two sticks of RAM in B1 and B2 (side by side). What does this mean? I think we should've installed in A2 and B2.... but my cooler overhangs my RAM and I think it'll be REALLY hard to pop out to move without completely taking off the cooler. Ugh... what does single mean? What performance loss is this causing? Other specs below in signature...

Windows Task Manager shows I'm using 3.6 / 15.9 GB (23%) just having my desktop up? I have this webpage open in CHROME and Steam and Battle.net open.

Yes. That's correct.

then you'll have to remove the cooler, to fix this.

It means - your ram is working at 1/2 of full bandwidth. It causes lowered ram performance.

Lutfij

Titan
Yeah you will need to place the rams in A2 and B2 to enable dual channel mode for your ram. That helps improve system bandwidth and overall performance. You will need to pull the cooler off by the way you've mentioned it but I think you should pass on an image of your system to help rule out that possibility.

FYI, are we to go with your sig space as specs to your build in question? If so, please post the specs in your thread's body. Specs in sig spaces can and will change as you go through hardware and the solution/suggestions made on this thread will seem irrelevant to any poor soul who happens to be in the same boat as you.

Again, post your specs in the thread's body.

Here is an extensive comparison of the two modes conducted by Gamers Nexus - https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel/Page-3

(This was however with DDR3, whether the figures are vastly different with DDR4 im not sure)

The findings indicate a performance difference of between 5%-20%.

The conclusion -

"As for whether it's "worth it" to get a kit of two, the answer is generally going to be yes -- but primarily because it's rare not to find a good deal with two sticks. If you're on a budget or an ultra-budget and are trying to spare every $5 or $10 you can, then perhaps grab a single stick of RAM.

It feels so wrong saying that, but we have to trust the results of this test, and the results say that it simply doesn't matter for those types of users. Anyone building a ~$500 or cheaper system shouldn't spend the time of day being concerned about 2x4GB vs. 1x8GB as long as the price works out in their favor. Price is the biggest factor here, and with recent fluctuations, you're just going to have to check the market when you're buying."

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
So with how it is installed now is it really only acting like 1 stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM? I am confused about single vs dual channel.

-CPU-Z shows 16 GB / Channel: Single 1500 Mhz (this is really 3000 Mhz right?)
-Windows Task Manager shows I'm using 3.6 / 15.9 GB (23%) just having my desktop up? I have this webpage open in CHROME and Steam and Battle.net open.

Read this - https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/what-is-dual-channel-memory

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
Well we didn't think much of it installing because the motherboard is not color coded in this way... I'm only just now realizing from wondering why my top PCIE x16 slot doesn't work (crashing games and BSOD'ing - PCIE x8 second slot works fine with my RTX 2070).

Thats ok anyway, there is no different to you GPU whether its in an x16 or an x8 PCI-E Slot.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
Is it possible I will run into boot errors after moving one RAM stick from B1 to A2? We already enabled XMP profile to run the RAM at 3000 MHz. Does my CPU-Z screenshot show this? I was told you double the number you see and I see 1499 MHZ. Are my voltages good? I am at work and now I can't click on my own screenshot as my office blocks imgur.

Yes i have run into boot errors when restarting after memory swaps, normally sorts itself out after a few boots.

"I was told you double the number you see and I see 1499 MHZ" that's correct, the RAM is running at 3000mhz.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015

I guess my i5-9600K supports the RAM being at 3000Mhz? Do you think this is kicking in the 4.6 turbo? Base is 3.7Ghz.. I have noticed Overwatch eventually crashes with 'rendering device lost' but this seems to be a widespread issue with RTX cards that Blizzard is working with Nvidia on. Changing the Overwatch.exe name to OverwatchTest.exe and launching from that instead of the Battle.net launcher has fixed the issue for most. I just renamed my file last night and have played minimally since. Blizzard games do not support overclocking. Is my RAM being at 3000Mhz considered an OC if it supports it? Is it OCing my CPU having 3000Mhz?

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015

Well it's going to be tight. May be able to be done, but the fin stack of the cooler overhangs the RAM so it'll be tough to pop it out of B1 to move to A2... I will probably be at the very bottom of the fin stack when it's popped out and I'd have to tilt it to the left and then slot into A2 at an angle without ever actually pulling the RAM out from under the overhang.

DRAM configuration in BIOS.

asrock_z390_extreme4_uefi_14.jpg

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015

Do that in the XMP profile I have set for 3000Mhz? I don't really mess around in the BIOS too much so I don't want to screw anything up.. is DRAM configuration a general setting or do I need a DRAM setting within the XMP profile I set to 3000 Mhz?

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015

A side question, does pushing the RAM to 3000Mhz, which it is totally capable of, count as an overclock if it was 2133 Mhz at default upon first boot up? I wonder if Blizzard games treat this as overclocking - I hear they do not allow overclocking for their games otherwise you get issues. My OW has been crashing after seemingly random amounts of play time with 'rendering device has been lost' and the Windows Event Viewer shows it as a warning 'nvlddmkm driver stopped responding.'

There is an official topic for this issue for ALL RTX owners over on the OW forums and it appears changing the .exe of overwatch to OverwatchTest.exe and launching directly from that bypassing the Battle.net launcher fixes it. This supposedly bypasses a driver profile. All users report the same Windows Event Viewer warning I stated regarding nvlddmkm. Just wondering if 3000Mhz RAM counts as an overclock. Everything else is stock... CPU is i5-9600K 3.7Ghz (4.6 turbo). I wonder if it boosts automatically into turbo does this count as an overclock? It's stock turbo.

Yes, everything with ram above 2666mhz is considered overclock.
And no, Blizzard doesn't care about your ram overclock.

Warning 'nvlddmkm driver stopped responding' - is related to graphics card.
If Overwatch profile in graphics drivers settings causes problems, then just delete the profile from drivers and Overwatch will use default settings.