Downloaded iso but neglected to create installation media.

Jwsuit04

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
Thank you for time.

Please excuse me, I am out of my depth.

My PC is an HP 500-054
It came with Windows 8 which was upgraded to 10.

I suppose either the HD is faulty or something has corrupted. I have had booting problems: various blue screens and disk boot failure prompt.

My plan was to backup valuable files (copy and paste to external HD) then format and reinstall windows.

I completed the backup, and downloaded the ISO from the Microsoft website.

However I neglected to create media from the iso. I (naturally) do not have any other windows installation media.

My PC is now at a point where I can not load windows. I can get to the command prompt through startup tools. However I can not get the system to read the contents of the disk to which I burned the iso.

The cd/dvd drive works as it will read others. Which I am using notepad to see.

My question is: What option do I have to access and use the downloaded ISO file to get up and going again.

Please let me know if I am providing insufficient information.

The last time I thought about what was going on inside a computer I had a brand new 14.4k modem and booted to a DOS prompt.

Thanks again for any help.

Solution
I don't think that ISO is any use to you where it is. you need another copy

now to recover anything off PC you want to save, you probably need to use this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
ubuntu at least tell you if hdd is still working, and if its a hardware problem.,.. no point trying to install win 10 otherwise. Alas, due to it being a CD itself, you cannot use it to make the ISO... I don't know linux well enough.... wonder if you could use it to burn the ISO to USB though (will have to ask)

If you cannot use the ISO, on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD (your choice)

if...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think that ISO is any use to you where it is. you need another copy

now to recover anything off PC you want to save, you probably need to use this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
ubuntu at least tell you if hdd is still working, and if its a hardware problem.,.. no point trying to install win 10 otherwise. Alas, due to it being a CD itself, you cannot use it to make the ISO... I don't know linux well enough.... wonder if you could use it to burn the ISO to USB though (will have to ask)

If you cannot use the ISO, on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD (your choice)

if hdd seems okay in linux, reinstall win 10 using the Win 10 installer, once you copied everything off PC.

Solution