Downloaded Windows 10 On An Old Computer Help.

LaterHater

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
So I downloaded windows 10 on my old computer because I thought it was going to work, but low and behold I <mod edit> up pretty hard. Now I'm trying to use a Windows 7 disk to fix my problem, but the downside is that I can't find the command prompt. I've hit f8, f12, and even f2. Nothing. Please help.. I'll even system restore if I have too I just need a working computer.

<Watch your language in these forums>

Solution

The very first thing you should have done was a full wipe and reinstall of the OS.
If it did not come with enough stuff to do that, you needed to purchase your own OS for this.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
boot from the windows 7 disk and reinstall from the GUI, why do you need command prompt?.

you can use shift + F10 to open command prompt during setup, but this is useful for advanced tasks, you don't need to go there.

USAFRet

Titan

Stop
Take a deep breath

What did you do, step by step?
What are you actually trying to do?
What do you want the end state to be?

LaterHater

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

(Sorry about my language :c)

Well, at first I bought an old computer off Ebay (Bad idea I know now) I downloaded stuff I needed and updated everything. Then the prompt for Windows 10 came up, and it said my computer was compatible so I clicked yes and proceeded to go through the whole download. Everything went great until it restarted and I got a blue screen that said "Welcome to Windows 10 " with the name of my account below, and in the bottom right hand corner there was a next button. I clicked it, and the whole thing stopped responding and I got stuck in a loop of reboots.

Now I want to just go back to windows 7, keep my files and everything. I've looked into a system restore but it says the last point of restore is under windows 10. So a friend let me borrow their windows 7 disk to see if it would help, but now it's asking me for a product key I don't have, and I can't download anything to the computer to search my registry for my old key. I've called Dell and Microsoft support, and they both told me there wasn't anything they could do without asking for money.

In the end I just want my computer back to the way it was. :'(

LaterHater

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

I was hoping to use it to find my old product key for windows 7, but windows won't even let me get into safe mode.

USAFRet

Titan

The very first thing you should have done was a full wipe and reinstall of the OS.
If it did not come with enough stuff to do that, you needed to purchase your own OS for this.

Solution