Question Downloading anything slows my internet crazily

Apr 18, 2019
For some reason everytime I download something it slows my whole network down. It doesn’t matter if it’s from Xbox or steam although steam makes it the worse . It makes it really hard to play destiny 2 with a download. It also slows down my phone. Is there any way I can fix this it didn’t use to be like this it’s just been happening the past few weeks.

ak195

Distinguished
whenever you will download something, it will take all the available bandwidth, and sometimes even 480p video takes time to load, so better to set limit for the downloading content if there's an option for it. so that you can do other task simultaneously. otherwise if you are gaming online, then stop all downloading and updating.

Depends on your model router. Some routers support QOS by port or ip/computer. If you have one of these routers, you can configure Quality of Service.

That said there are downsides:
1. 99% of consumer routers will slow down your total throughput. However your traffic for that specific machine will be higher. So if you have a 15 down 5 up connection and you turn on QOS, then you may get 10 down and 3 up. But your gaming will be smoother.

2. If your QOS works by machine/ip, you'll have to do your downloads on another machine while you game.

3. If your QOS works by port, you have to figure out which port(s) your game uses. You can do this by: Task Manager->Performance->Open Resource Monitor->[Network] tab. Find your gaming app and check it. Then expand the TCP connections. You'll see the ports that are being used as well as the target IP.

So don't download when u need to play games. ^) That's the easy solution.

You have a SHARED pipe like everybody else, ANYTHING you do affects everything else.

An unmanaged network does not coordinate traffic nicely. Is like a road with broken red lights.

If you are the one paying the bills and have access can eventually implement bandwidth management in the form of QOS, not an easy subject.

Apr 18, 2019
Ok so I’m going to try limiting my download speed on steam to 15mpbs. Would starting my game first make it to where it wouldn’t lag when I started a download ? Also I have a Netgear nighthawk with QoS. I haven’t set it up yet but I can try .

Ok so I’m going to try limiting my download speed on steam to 15mpbs. Would starting my game first make it to where it wouldn’t lag when I started a download ? Also I have a Netgear nighthawk with QoS. I haven’t set it up yet but I can try .
Starting the game first wont help.

Nighthawk wont help either if you are downloading on same machine as their qos is machine based not port based.

What will help:

turn off downloading updates while games are running. Thats an option if you launch in steam.

Limit download speed of steam to no more than 1/3rd your total network speed. Round robin algorithms for handling traffic seem to work best when no one app tries to secure more than 1/3 of your bandwidth. It will still slow down if you load it up too much but your ping will be better.

If this suddenly started, and you are running your wireless unsecured, one of your neighbors may have taken you up on your invitation to use your Internet access instead of paying for their own.

Even if you did secure your wireless, now might be a good time to review your router logs, and look for foreign MACs wirelessly connecting to your router. Most contemporary routers have the facility to block connections at the MAC level.

At minimum, changing the SSID and passphrase won't hurt.

Apr 18, 2019
If this suddenly started, and you are running your wireless unsecured, one of your neighbors may have taken you up on your invitation to use your Internet access instead of paying for their own.

Even if you did secure your wireless, now might be a good time to review your router logs, and look for foreign MACs wirelessly connecting to your router. Most contemporary routers have the facility to block connections at the MAC level.

At minimum, changing the SSID and passphrase won't hurt.
Well I’m running via Ethernet . I get my full speed I probably just need to tone steam down a beat while playing destiny . It should be an easy fix i was just wondering if there was anything else I should change. Thank you all!

TRENDING THREADS