Question Downloading at higher speeds

shiv2734

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
I've got a Internet connection plan that provides me upto 50Mbps till 180GB it was much higher before but i changed it to their lowest plans now everytime i hit FUP i get slowed down to a mere 3Mbps, but for the last 2 months or so after browsing 2-3 days in 3Mbps my internet somehow peaks to 100Mbps Unlimited with no FUP but thats not all since the Fiber ONT is outside my house and the net then gets distributed from there i noticed they were using 100Mbps switch so i thought maybe it was acting as a bottleneck and i was right changing it temporary to my Gigabit switch game me results of upto 500Mbps upload that too when the wire was too long might be better when i use Cat 6 and a shorter wire.As always it was back to 100Mbps in the morning but at around 4PM it slowed down to 3Mbps it had happened before so i didn't worry much as last time it returned to 100Mbps after 2-3hrs , but still hasn't today.
Image01
Image02
Image03
So I'm looking for answers as to what might cause this also is there a way to trigger it when required.You can DM or mail me and i'll give you more details to better understand the situation.

It depends if the ISP is doing it on purpose or they are stupid and made a mistake.

Most ISP run a bit faster than what they sell you. I suspect they feel if most the time you pay for 300 and you get 350 the times you get 299 instead you won't complain.

They may have configured it to run that way. Say all user traffic is marked "XX" if it under the cap If it is above the cap they will only mark a certain percentage of the traffic XX the rest will be marked YY. What they can do is send all the XX traffic first and if there is any left over bandwidth in their network they will send as much YY traffic as they can. In periods of heavy utilization the XX traffic may use all the bandwidth available so someone who has hit their cap will only get the smaller amount of there traffic that has the XX marking and excess traffic will be discarded. In periods of low usage all the traffic passes. through.

All depends why they cap it. If there goal is to make more money it is different that if they just want to make sure nobody hogs the connection and degrades someone else experience.

shiv2734

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
I thought of that too. but it's not intentional because whenever i get switched to the 100Mbps the ISP stops counting data usage for that time. also looks like i only connect to it when their DHCP Servers IP is reachable by me. I'm on a static IP so don't need to connect to it.