[SOLVED] Downloading files from a different location

SLICEnICE

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
I had a quick question that I can't find anywhere and would like to expand my knowledge on this. So I have a PC at home, but my home download speeds aren't to fast to download most things above 10Gbs because it takes to long and I get super impatient xD. I have had fiber connections before and now am on the old telephone jack speeds. Anyways I was wondering if it is possible to somehow download something off of another connection from my laptop somewhere else and have it go to my PC? I know I could download it somewhere with higher speeds and put it on a USB or something and take it home or even using a external hard drive. But is there something specifically that can download and transfer files to my PC something online like? I know how many different ways I can do it, but they are all time consuming. (Trying to download multiple games each over 70gb.) So yea can anyone expand my knowledge in this field lol. Thanks!

Solution
I was also thinking if I could take out my HDD from my PC and connect it to my laptop and download it onto it then take it back home?
Depending on what you're downloading, maybe.

If this is a secondary HDD in your PC, it is relatively easy.
If it is the OS drive, a bit more pain.

Of course, for a 3.5" desktop HDD, you'd need a USB dock with a wall plugin.

USAFRet

Titan
I had a quick question that I can't find anywhere and would like to expand my knowledge on this. So I have a PC at home, but my home download speeds aren't to fast to download most things above 10Gbs because it takes to long and I get super impatient xD. I have had fiber connections before and now am on the old telephone jack speeds. Anyways I was wondering if it is possible to somehow download something off of another connection from my laptop somewhere else and have it go to my PC? I know I could download it somewhere with higher speeds and put it on a USB or something and take it home or even using a external hard drive. But is there something specifically that can download and transfer files to my PC something online like? I know how many different ways I can do it, but they are all time consuming. (Trying to download multiple games each over 70gb.) So yea can anyone expand my knowledge in this field lol. Thanks!
It doesn't work like that.

If your system at home has a slow connection, it has a slow connection.
You can't direct it from somewhere else and be fast, because that is still a slow connection.

Download ans save to a flash drive maybe, then take it home.

SLICEnICE

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
It doesn't work like that.

If your system at home has a slow connection, it has a slow connection.
You can't direct it from somewhere else and be fast, because that is still a slow connection.

Download ans save to a flash drive maybe, then take it home.
I was also thinking if I could take out my HDD from my PC and connect it to my laptop and download it onto it then take it back home?

USAFRet

Titan

Solution

SLICEnICE

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

Ok sounds like that's the way to do it efficiently and yes the HDD is my secondary, OS is on my SSD. Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Ok sounds like that's the way to do it efficiently and yes the HDD is my secondary, OS is on my SSD. Thanks!
So....

On the desktop, you need to establish a location on the HDD as a valid place for Steam games.
And again with the Steam client on the laptop.

Connect to the laptop, download/install a game through the Steam client.
Move the drive over to the desktop...it should recognize this.

Maybe try it at home first, with a small game install.

SLICEnICE

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
So....

On the desktop, you need to establish a location on the HDD as a valid place for Steam games.
And again with the Steam client on the laptop.

Connect to the laptop, download/install a game through the Steam client.
Move the drive over to the desktop...it should recognize this.

Maybe try it at home first, with a small game install.
Yea, I'll definitely try it out. I know how to establish a location for the drive so that won't be a problem. Thanks again!