[SOLVED] Downloading for a while. PC Starts stuttering and I no longer have access to the network.

Aug 20, 2019
Hello,

I could not find a similar problem to the one I have here, so I guess it's rare? Recently I tried downloading a torrent via uTorrent, everything went good, I had max download speed, PC was running smooth and it had no problems. Well 20 - 30 minutes later, the computer starts suffering pretty hard. Lags appear, internet connection stops working for some reason too, I can barely move my cursor without having a massive lag spike which lasts about 2 - 3 seconds. Whenever I click to see if I am connected to the internet, the window just does not show up. All of this until I force restart my computer. Once it's restarted all of this disappears until I decide to download again.

I've noticed that this appears on Steam and uTorrent only.

Would share my PC config if needed, but I don't think it's because of it.

Router is RT - N53
Adapter is N53 - USB

I'm using WINDOWS 7.

Thanks for the answer in advance.

~ Shoty

Solution
Hello and sorry for the late reply,

I do have a cable, but I have not found it practical, since my router is at about 10 meters from my computer. Might try to connect it and start downloading to see if it does the same.

If thermal throttling is what I think it is, then this might be the problem. The adapter gets pretty hot indeed, and the network speed it can receive varies (The software shows it).

I'm going to try downloading a torrent with the cable plugged and will edit if the problem still occurs.

EDIT: Okay, after downloading a 40 GB Torrent I had no issues at all. Even better! Had a faster speed. I guess the issue was caused by my adapter and will look forward to change it or maybe go with the cable. Thanks!

Thanks for...
Aug 20, 2019
Sounds like it could be that Adapter is thermal throttling. Do you have any other way of connecting to the internet?

I do have a cable, but I have not found it practical, since my router is at about 10 meters from my computer. Might try to connect it and start downloading to see if it does the same.

If thermal throttling is what I think it is, then this might be the problem. The adapter gets pretty hot indeed, and the network speed it can receive varies (The software shows it).

I'm going to try downloading a torrent with the cable plugged and will edit if the problem still occurs.

EDIT: Okay, after downloading a 40 GB Torrent I had no issues at all. Even better! Had a faster speed. I guess the issue was caused by my adapter and will look forward to change it or maybe go with the cable. Thanks!

Thanks for the advice.

~ Shoty

Last edited:

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019

Thanks for the advice.

~ Shoty

Hey thanks for getting back! Yeah those USB adapters aren't the greatest unless you're just browsing the web. Any long term use and they real suffer from overheating.

Is your PC a laptop or a desktop?

If its a desktop, you can add a PCI network card that will not overheat.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Arch...wireless+card&qid=1566399773&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Solution