[SOLVED] Downloading Windows 10 to new DIY PC wont boot

Oct 25, 2020
I'm trying to download Windows 10, but for some reason once the installation is completed my PC restarts and brings me back to the Windows installation menu. It seems that something was downloaded because the SDD is now partitioned, but when i go into my BIOS there is no option to boot with the drive. Is there something I may have missed?

Solution
USB gets formatted as FAT so that the bios can see it. It should be okay as is.

I saw something like this yesterday, couldn't get windows onto the PC. Its very bizarre. He was the same, it would let you copy it onto ssd but it wouldn't boot off it. He was in a shop, tried 2 different ssd and it happened on both. It would let him install on a hdd though.

you might want to try a different way of downloading the installer and see if that helps - https://www.howtogeek.com/427223/how-to-download-a-windows-10-iso-without-the-media-creation-tool/
Oct 25, 2020
Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z490E
SDD: EVO 860
(pretty sure thats all that's relevant)

I downloaded the window media creation tool off of the microsoft website and set up the boot media on a 15GB USB. In my BIOS it only shows the USB as a bootable option. Im sure that when i downloaded windows it downloaded since when I went to try and download it again told me that there already was a version of windows. I've tried reformatting the SDD a few times but nothing is working

Oct 25, 2020
Just tried a different port and same problem. And no im not using an m.2 as of now.

The motherboard is detecting the SDD and I was even able to download windows10 i think... I'm just not sure if maybe there is a setting in the BIOS that is causing this issue. I've tried redownloading the boot media and still nothing. I've used this SDD in the past as extra storage for photos and stuff, but i cleaned the disk, reformatted (maybe not correctly), and activated the partition. Maybe I missed a step or something I have no clue at this point

Colif

Win 11 Master
I'm trying to download Windows 10, but for some reason once the installation is completed my PC restarts and brings me back to the Windows installation menu.
are you sure it finished? it sounds to me like windows got to the point where it copied itself onto the ssd and then did the restart, and at this point should have booted off the SSD and started setting up accounts on the pc but instead sometimes just loops back around to installer and starts again.

wipe ssd so its blank again
Maybe reset bios to defaults
Put USB in at boot up and go into the bios
there shouldn't be anything in boot order
On the boot menu, there is a choice called Boot override, if you pick this it will boot off that device ONCE and then on next restart should use the ssd. Pick the USB from list. PC will restart and boot off USB and should on the following restart boot off the ssd and continue the install.

see page 68 here - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...16887_ROG_STRIX_Z490-E_BIOS_manual_EM_WEB.pdf

once the installation is completed my PC restarts and brings me back to the Windows installation menu.
when i go into my BIOS there is no option to boot with the drive. Is there something I may have missed?
When install finishes and wants to reboot, you were asked to remove install media. Were you not?

If windows was installed in UEFI mode, then first boot option has to be made "Windows Boot Manager".

Oct 25, 2020
wipe ssd so its blank again
Maybe reset bios to defaults
Put USB in at boot up and go into the bios
there shouldn't be anything in boot order
On the boot menu, there is a choice called Boot override, if you pick this it will boot off that device ONCE and then on next restart should use the ssd. Pick the USB from list. PC will restart and boot off USB and should on the following restart boot off the ssd and continue the install.

I tried this and still the same thing

Something I didnt mention that maybe is relevent is I was prompted to format my drive as GPT and while I was doing so I noticed that my USB is not formatted as GPT.

Do i need a new SSD or will this happen no matter what??

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
USB gets formatted as FAT so that the bios can see it. It should be okay as is.

I saw something like this yesterday, couldn't get windows onto the PC. Its very bizarre. He was the same, it would let you copy it onto ssd but it wouldn't boot off it. He was in a shop, tried 2 different ssd and it happened on both. It would let him install on a hdd though.

you might want to try a different way of downloading the installer and see if that helps - https://www.howtogeek.com/427223/how-to-download-a-windows-10-iso-without-the-media-creation-tool/

Solution