Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
I would like to know if the ISO file I have to download on mac is the same as the file I would download on a windows computer. I was thinking I could just download the file and plop it onto my usb, but I want to know if the ISO file is different from the windows media creation tool file.

Solution
The file is the same, but it will not create a USB Windows installer. The ISO file is primarily for those that want to make a DVD installer, which may or may not be possible with a MAC. OTOH, on a Windows computer a bootable install iso file is easily be converted into a DVD installer. To make a USB installer, you must use a Windows computer and let the Windows media creator website create the USB; using a Windows ISO to USB utility, often creates a problematic USB that works for some, but not for others.
The file is the same, but it will not create a USB Windows installer. The ISO file is primarily for those that want to make a DVD installer, which may or may not be possible with a MAC. OTOH, on a Windows computer a bootable install iso file is easily be converted into a DVD installer. To make a USB installer, you must use a Windows computer and let the Windows media creator website create the USB; using a Windows ISO to USB utility, often creates a problematic USB that works for some, but not for others.

Solution