[SOLVED] Downloads are EXTREMELY slow...

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
Hello,
I have dual 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 64MB cache 6GB/s. I also have quite solid WiFi according to Google's Speed Test.

My results from this speed test show that my download speed is 90.1mbps and my upload speed is 10.3mbps. I am currently downloading a 32GB game onto my primary hard drive that still has 1.6TB free and my download speed is 303Kb/s which isn't even close to 90.1mbps. Keep in mind that I do have quite a few devices connected to my WiFi such as all phones and computing devices owned my my parents and sister. None of them however are streaming videos while I'm trying to download things. I don't know why this is downloading so slow, plus this isn't the only thing that takes forever to download. Currently, it's going to take about a day and a half to download something that should take about 2 hours. GTA 5 even downloaded in 2.5 hours...

Solution
Just because your download speed is "x" Mbps with an internet service provider certainly does not mean assorted downloads will come zipping in anywhere near that speed, as various servers may be providing downloads for up to 10-500+ customers at one time, and, sharing bandwidth among them at their end...(net result, everyone gets but 30-100 kbps)

Generally, you can test your download bandwidth in the USA by downloading something substantial from Microsoft, as they seem to be able to afford substantial bandwidth to multiple customers at a time :)
Just because your download speed is "x" Mbps with an internet service provider certainly does not mean assorted downloads will come zipping in anywhere near that speed, as various servers may be providing downloads for up to 10-500+ customers at one time, and, sharing bandwidth among them at their end...(net result, everyone gets but 30-100 kbps)

Generally, you can test your download bandwidth in the USA by downloading something substantial from Microsoft, as they seem to be able to afford substantial bandwidth to multiple customers at a time :)

Solution

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018

That makes sense once I think about it, and in hindsight I probably should've realized that. My download seems to have sped up to about 8 Mb/s but is still slow compared to Xbox downloads that go @ between 50-70Mb/s.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
other thing to keep in mind is the difference between Mbs and MBs

speedtest and your ISP will give you Mbs while when you're downloading it will usually list MBs. the difference is that a Byte or B is 8 bits or b. so you're speedtest result of 90 Mbs is actually only 90/8 = 11.25 MBs. so the most you should expect downloading is around that 10-11 MBs range.

that means 1 GB should take roughly 90-100 seconds at your full speed. that's actually pretty fast. but when you factor other people on your network, the server it's coming from and so on, you're unlikely to see that speed very often. i have Gb speed access so theoretically can download at 120+ MBs but i rarely see more than 4-5 MBs from most places. steam is actually pretty fast and gives me over 25 MBs most of the time. i know its not my end ....

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
other thing to keep in mind is the difference between Mbs and MBs

speedtest and your ISP will give you Mbs while when you're downloading it will usually list MBs. the difference is that a Byte or B is 8 bits or b. so you're speedtest result of 90 Mbs is actually only 90/8 = 11.25 MBs. so the most you should expect downloading is around that 10-11 MBs range.

that means 1 GB should take roughly 90-100 seconds at your full speed. that's actually pretty fast. but when you factor other people on your network, the server it's coming from and so on, you're unlikely to see that speed very often. i have Gb speed access so theoretically can download at 120+ MBs but i rarely see more than 4-5 MBs from most places. steam is actually pretty fast and gives me over 25 MBs most of the time. i know its not my end ....
Wow this is actually extremely helpful. I guess I didn't realize that Google was displaying my speed that way. Thanks for the assistance!