[SOLVED] Downloads Location?

Mar 18, 2020
Hello Everyone!

New to this forum and i've just built my first pc! This is the first time i've had anything decent since I was younger and played around with DDR2 ram and AMD semprons lol. It's nothing extraordinary just the best I could afford.

Core i5-9600KF
16GB Patriot Viper at 3000mhz
Zotac RTX 2060
MSI MAG z390m mortar
128GB M.2 SSD
1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
Corsair 80+ gold TX550

So i've only got 128gb ssd because I only intended to put windows 10 on it (which btw I am totally in love with my pc booting up in 5 seconds, never experienced that before) and a couple more higher priority programmes. However I dont think I fully understood just how quickly all the files add up and take up space and ended up maxing out within 1 week. So I deleted what I could and reclaimed about 2gb. Took me a while to realize anything I downloaded defaulted to my ssd as its location. I managed to change the download location to my hard drive and appeared to move everything across to my hard drive but couldn't delete what I had moved off of my ssd. It seems I just copied it on my hard drive. Even now, when I download something and want a shortcut on my desktop it moves the whole file from my hard drive to my desktop, I assume its just moving back to my ssd? I want to keep the file on my hard drive and be able to have a shortcut on my desktop without it being moved to my ssd. This feels really amateurish but it's beginning to get on my nerves. To access everything I download I have to go on to my pc and click on my hdd icon there. Now my ssd is maxed out and cant seem to fee any space. Just after I installed windows 10 I had about 90/100gb available then I check a week later have something like 1.8gb free space! My hdd is basically acting as a folder where everything is kept. If I make a new folder on my desktop it wont be saved to my hdd. I've ran out of ideas and feel like reinstalling windows, surely theres other options to consider first? probably could of worded it better but its confusing me lol any help would be seriously appreciated!

Thanks

Solution
You are in control of where things are downloaded and where they install (mostly).

Download location is easy to change in the browser.
Install location...you change that during the install of whatever application iti s.
Select Custom or Advanced, and select (or create) a folder on the larger drive to install to.

Read here:

And yes...a 128GB drive is TooSmall for the OS drive. Has been for several years.

USAFRet

Titan
You are in control of where things are downloaded and where they install (mostly).

Download location is easy to change in the browser.
Install location...you change that during the install of whatever application iti s.
Select Custom or Advanced, and select (or create) a folder on the larger drive to install to.

Read here:

And yes...a 128GB drive is TooSmall for the OS drive. Has been for several years.

Solution