[SOLVED] Downloads start 30 MBPS and quickly drop to 7 MBPS

sennehaest

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019
Hello,

I want to install my steam games but everytime I try to install any game, it starts the download at about 30 mbps and it almost instantly drops to 7 mbps. My internet speed is 400mbps, so that means I should get about 30-40 mbps real download.
I've tried: 1. Change download region. 2. Disable a limit of download speeds 3. Flushing DNS 4.Setting steam to high priority 5. Disable and enable my network adaptor 6. Updating my drivers 7. Reinstalling steam.

I really dont know how to solve this, I've reinstalled steam and made backups of the games I could, but I still deleted 750 GB and to reinstall that at 7mbps is gonna take way too long.

So please, if anyone knows how to fix this, please reply.

Thank you,
Senne

Solution
Steam does all kinds of strange stuff at times. I suspect it is partially game related that they give some games preference over others. It also seems that some games are one large file and other are sent as many smaller files. You get very different download rates.

You could try to download a large file from say microsoft to see if other things are affected but I suspect it iwll work fine. Speedtest is actually a file download and upload so real network issues will affect this also.

I would suspect a steam issue. Other wise it is going to be something in your machine or maybe your router that is limiting traffic that is not browser based. That is the key difference between the steam client and speedtest. If you have...
Steam does all kinds of strange stuff at times. I suspect it is partially game related that they give some games preference over others. It also seems that some games are one large file and other are sent as many smaller files. You get very different download rates.

You could try to download a large file from say microsoft to see if other things are affected but I suspect it iwll work fine. Speedtest is actually a file download and upload so real network issues will affect this also.

I would suspect a steam issue. Other wise it is going to be something in your machine or maybe your router that is limiting traffic that is not browser based. That is the key difference between the steam client and speedtest. If you have any software loaded that claims to be "gamer" network accelerators these can be problems. Some of this software is bundled with the motherboard and people install it without really remembering.

Solution

sennehaest

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019

I would suspect a steam issue. Other wise it is going to be something in your machine or maybe your router that is limiting traffic that is not browser based. That is the key difference between the steam client and speedtest. If you have any software loaded that claims to be "gamer" network accelerators these can be problems. Some of this software is bundled with the motherboard and people install it without really remembering.
Thank you for replying. I've noticed something strange though. When I enable my VPN and set it to one of the near country's, my speeds are about 20mbps, so I am really confused right now, but 20 mbps is good enough I guess.

Thanks for helping.

You may want to look in the resource monitor and see if you can find the addresses steam is connecting to.

They actually have many data centers and I have no idea how they choose. In addition I have see posts, which I am not sure if I believe, that steam is duplicating IP addresses. This is kinda like the 8.8.8.8 ip address that is located in many cites. If this is true it is going to be hard to tell where your downloads really are coming from.

Reactions: SamirD