Downloads start around 1MB/s but quickly dip to less than 100kB/s after a couple minutes or less, any way to keep it up high?

Joshua Derkowski

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
I would very much like to be able to download my stuff this century and not have to leave my computer on overnight. A wired connection isn't a possibility as my computer is in a bedroom while the wireless is in the living room. I know about unplugging the router or whatever it is to flush it or whatever, but is there anything else I can do?

It may be your ISP up to no good. Some use "turbo" mode so they can get good numbers on the speed test but then downgrade your connection speed...some even admit they do this since it does help simple surfing and conserves their bandwidth.

Even if it is huge pain you need to either temporarily move the computer or run a temporary cable so you can do some testing. If it does this on a wired connection you would need to look at the router or the ISP. If you have a separate modem and router your next test would be to remove the router and only use the modem to see if the problem goes away. If it works fine on wired then I would be suspect of drivers in the PC causing a issue or rarely firmware in the router.

You also need to eliminate the site you are downloading from also many of these have bandwidth rules. Download some large files from microsoft site should give you an indication of what you can get.