Downscaling 4k Monitor??

Mr potato

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
Alrighty. So, I'm building a gaming pc for the first time. I have the 1060 6gb dual fan version. I was thinking of buying a 4k monitor. But, I've heard that I need a much more powerful card to run smoothly at 4k. So, can I just buy the 4k monitor, and when I'm playing games could I just switch the resolution down to say, 1440 and get good results? Would the 1440 on a 4k look normal? Or would I get weird pixels? Would the 1440 on 4k look better or worse than a native 1440 display? Thanks so much!

Solution
Yes, you can always choose to game at a lower resolution. Yes, 1440p on a 4K display will likely look a little worse than it would on an equivalent native 1440p display.

In theory 1080p displayed on a 4K display shouldn't have any interpolation artifacts (because 4k is an integer multiple of 1080p), but I think it can vary based on the monitor.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you can always choose to game at a lower resolution. Yes, 1440p on a 4K display will likely look a little worse than it would on an equivalent native 1440p display.

In theory 1080p displayed on a 4K display shouldn't have any interpolation artifacts (because 4k is an integer multiple of 1080p), but I think it can vary based on the monitor.

Solution