Downsizing PC Suggestions

vulcanrvn90

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018
Hello, I was hoping to get some suggestions with the following question.

I want to downsize pretty badly, the case I have now is monstrous and I thought I was going to need the space when I bought it for SLI and a media server. Since then I've acquired a dedicated server for my media. A Dell PowerEdge R710, I still need to create a storage array so that I can remove the HDDs from my PC and help reduce my case size. I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for what I want to do. I'm wanting to downsize to a mATX or if possible an ITX, and I want to do so as cheaply as possible but with quality in mind, keeping in mind the best bang for the buck. I don't mind paying but always want to make sure it's of quality. One problem i'm having with my current case is because the motherboard is an E-ATX, when I mounted the radiator on the top, I had to place one of the radiator fans outside the case on the top, and the other fan wont even fit, which is insane considering the overall size of the case.

I currently have the following system;

Case: Rosewill Thor
CPU: Intel i7-3930K
Cooler: Corsair H80i
Mobo: Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2 E-ATX
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti
RAM: G.Skill Trident X 8GB x 4 32GB
HDDs: WD Black 2TB, WD Red 4TB, WD Red 4TB
SSDs: Samsung 840 Pro Sata, 860 EVO Sata, 960 EVO M.2
CD: Song DVD Burner
BluRay: Asus BW-16D1HT
WiFi: Qualcomm Atheros AR1111 PCI

So I figure I only have a couple of options, I can buy a socket 2011 motherboard somewhere even though they are the same price as a new more current board which is part of the problem. Becuase I cant find a decent mATX mobo that is socket 2011, I'm tempted to just upgrade in order to downsize but don't want to spend the money because the system I currently have is still more than adequate for me and what I use it for. Speaking of which, my current uses are video converting, or upscaling, gaming, some code compilation, browsing and general computer use. I do like the fact that I have plenty of horsepower to do pretty much anything I could ever want to do, at least until new advances in computer tech are just to cool to not upgrade.

All the socket 2011 mATX motherboards I've been able to find anywhere average about $300-$400, which is ridiculous quite frankly. So to get to it;

Options
1. Case size similar to mATX that can house my current E-ATX mobo
2. Case size similar to mATX, but replace the current mobo with a socket 2011 ATX board
3. Purchase mATX board, then recommend a solid mATX case
4. Purchase newer mobo and upgrade necessary components and get a mATX case
5. Build or buy a desk case, my concern here is that anytime I have to move, this seems like it would be a pain in the ass, in my head at least. Does anyone have any experience with one? if so what is it like for maintenance and moving?

I think these are my only options unless someone else has better ideas? Eventually, I would like to just use my server to house everything, put it in a closet somewhere with proper ventilation and use a thin client. Especially if I can use that thin client remotely with good speed and quality. From everything I've researched, VMWare has like an 80% speed throughput for the GPU to a VM, which makes my last option an almost. Once it is closer to 100% I will most likely make the transition to a thin client, also once/if VMWare will support SLI which I'm not sure if it does. I hope all this makes sense as its late and im high, let me know you're thoughts.

Thank You

I think you will find that doing this without replacing much of your system to be cost prohibitive. You could almost get an i7-8700K and an ITX motherboard for $400 (realistically probably $450-$475). RAM cost would be devastating though. Add to that, you have a pretty darn good system so replacing it is unwise.

I think that the best option that you've listed is the desk case. If I were you, I'd head over to YouTube and see what other people have done with them, problems they have had, things they have done well, etc. You'd keep your hardware, lower the footprint to almost nothing, and it would cost less than replacing the whole computer.

Although, if you wanted to just hide your PC in a closet and still use it, something like the SteamLink might be a good idea. It basically streams the desktop and video output to a very small device and it works really well if you are on a wired network. I've used one for about a year and with good network speed you can do most things with minimal fuss. However, if you play games that are super sensitive to unput lag, like competitive CSGO or something, you could have a bad time, but in most cases it is fine. I've played the campaign mode on Doom (the new one) on it and it is just fine. That could be a relatively very cheap option if you wanted to try that.

TRENDING THREADS