[SOLVED] DP and DVI incapatible with my monitor with rtx 2070

ajspang02

Prominent
Dec 28, 2018
So i have a acer 144hz monitor that only supports hdmi (not sure wich hdmi but i can look it up) vga, and dvi-DL, i was gonna upgrade my pc with a new rtxx 2070 but it has no dvi port, so how would i get the full 144hz if i cant use dvi and hdmi doesnt support 144hz?? or is it not even an option at all??

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
You can get a Display port to DVI cord on amazon for around 10 dollars.

The 2070 has a display port (looks similar to HDMI connection) usually located directly beside the HDMI port.
DP will support 144hz monitor.

The 144hz monitor should have more then one connection option on the back, you may be mistaking DP (display port) for HDMI, in that case a DP to DP cord would do the job.

ajspang02

Prominent
Dec 28, 2018

but hdmi doesnt support 144hz but DP does, so wouldnt the conversion in the cables affect what hz the cord can put out?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
See here and put in the connections you want. Im guessing Displayport to DVI.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/

All passive DP to DVI adapters are single link only and wont give you 144Hz. It'll still work just at 60Hz. You'll be looking at active adapters which may or may not work or unreliable. Theres a few suggestions in that link for active adapters but i think they only go upto 120Hz if they work. Read reviews on any cable you buy because often people buy these adapters for the same reason.

---

Regarding Hdmi, versions 1.3/1.4 may do 120Hz, maybe 144Hz at 1080p but this is reliant on the monitor as it's been a manufacture choice to include the capability which is rare but they do exist.

--

If you wish to proceed with 2070, a new monitor might be best. Could try an active adapter but it'll be a risk and might only cop out at 120Hz. Or settle for a 10 series ie Gigabyte 1070Ti that has DVI DL.

That won't work unless you use a specialized adapter.

Please see section 0 here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3675170/connect-120-display-construction.html