[SOLVED] DP Cable / USB cable pin or tip grounding ?

mark_07

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Hello, I'm not sure if I'm using the proper wording, but when I touch or accidentally touch the pin or the tip of my DP cable or a usb cord, I get a zap of electricity which really kind of hurts. Is this normal or do I have a grounding issue ?

Currently both both PC and the usb cord (for external hdd) is on a shelf, do I need to have the cable touch the ground or wall? Please help

Solution
Hello, I'm not sure if I'm using the proper wording, but when I touch or accidentally touch the pin or the tip of my DP cable or a usb cord, I get a zap of electricity which really kind of hurts. Is this normal or do I have a grounding issue ?

Currently both both PC and the usb cord (for external hdd) is on a shelf, do I need to have the cable touch the ground or wall? Please help
Do you live in a desert or low humidity climate? I do; that's just static electricity that your clothing generates as you move around. What kind of outside and inside humidity readings to you have?

Do you live in a desert or low humidity climate? I do; that's just static electricity that your clothing generates as you move around. What kind of outside and inside humidity readings to you have?

Reactions: mark_07
Solution

mark_07

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

Oh right, it could be the humidity as its pretty hot in here, I live in the South East Asia. So its just normal and will not really do any damage to the devices right. Thank you for responding dwd999, I appreciate that

Oh right, it could be the humidity as its pretty hot in here, I live in the South East Asia. So its just normal and will not really do any damage to the devices right. Thank you for responding dwd999, I appreciate that
There are various ways to mitigate static electricity depending on your situation. There are wrist straps that you don't have to wear; you could just touch the metallic part when you sit down at your desk. Or mats that you could place on your desk underneath your keyboard area that you could touch when you sit down.