Question Dp-DVI-D cable not working

May 23, 2019
Just recently bought a new monitor that works fine with HDMI but I want to get the full 144hz out of it. I bought a cable that is displayport to the monitor and dvi-d to the computer. However, it's not working. What can I do or what I'm doing wrong?

kanewolf

Titan
You're not going to get 144Hz from a DVI-D port. DVI-D is used to produce an analogue signal (VGA).
Depending on your monitor, it's either going to be through the HDMI port, or through DP.
That is WRONG. DVI-D -- "D" for DIGITAL does NOT have analog signals used for VGA.

DVI can support 120hz but it would require a dual link DVI interface. Some pages say dual link DVI will support 144hz. It would depend on the specifc adapter you have to determine if that is a supported capability.

Just recently bought a new monitor that works fine with HDMI but I want to get the full 144hz out of it. I bought a cable that is displayport to the monitor and dvi-d to the computer. However, it's not working. What can I do or what I'm doing wrong?
It is likely you bought a DisplayPort to DVI adapter, which will only work for DP to DVI connections, not DVI to DP as you are trying to do. See section 1.2 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/