DP to DVI adapter

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I had another post started, and see a few similar posts go unanswered so I think out of luck for a fix.

Basically, old monitor was DVI plugged into a GTX650ti, as well as an HDMI TV. No problems, bootup screens all defaulted to DVI. I switched to a new monitor that has no DVI, instead uses DisplayPort, and now the bootup screens all default to the HDMI, even if the TV is shut off.

Posted here, the nvidia site and submitted a tech support issue with ASUS and 0 response.

So... I'm thinking of getting an adapter to plug the DP into the DVI port.

I've looked online, started seeing stuff about active/passive adapters and not 100% sure if I'll loose anything going from DP to DVI. I just bought a really nice DELL U2414H monitor with the wider colour range and is super sharp (good for photoshop).

Just wondered if anyone could help clear up my confusion... will I lose anything switching to DVI? and do I want active or passive? Thanks

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Well, after getting 0 help on here, I went and emailed a manufacture of these things. Explained what's going on and their tech said because going from DVI on the PC, to DP on the monitor, I would need an active adapter, which is like $80 vs $10 for the passive ones... so not going to happen.

So, contacted ASUS tech support, because they made my video card, and as always, 100% useless.

First, they skimmed the email and fired off a canned response of how to switch monitors in windows. So I had to reply back and underline the fact that it's during startup PRE-WINDOWS!!! They replied back saying try a different DP port. I replied saying the card only has 1 DP port (which they should know, they had the model number). Then after a while they said they'd get their next tier support to look into it.

I've emailed a few times since then, 0 response. Been about 5 weeks.

I like ASUS, the quality of their stuff is great... but on the rare occasion I have to use their support, I am always disappointed.