[SOLVED] DP to HDMI vs HDMI to HDMI cable

Solution
There are various differences between the cables and connections used, Display port cables are generally the standard for pc, the cables can transfer more information than standard hdmi, however each cable will have different ratings and capabilities

Hdmi 2.0 cables are capable of 4k 60fps,8k 30fps, a hdmi 1.4 cable could do 4k 30fps and is the minimum needed for a 4k tv, a cable needs to be rated for the type of display you are going for, if it's 8k then you need to make sure the cable you pick is capable of transferring that much information, also take into account how many of each connection your graphics card has, it may have one hdmi output and 3 display port like mine or something similar and the ratings for those outputs

in...

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
There are various differences between the cables and connections used, Display port cables are generally the standard for pc, the cables can transfer more information than standard hdmi, however each cable will have different ratings and capabilities

Hdmi 2.0 cables are capable of 4k 60fps,8k 30fps, a hdmi 1.4 cable could do 4k 30fps and is the minimum needed for a 4k tv, a cable needs to be rated for the type of display you are going for, if it's 8k then you need to make sure the cable you pick is capable of transferring that much information, also take into account how many of each connection your graphics card has, it may have one hdmi output and 3 display port like mine or something similar and the ratings for those outputs

in short a 1.4 display port cable or a hdmi 2.1 cable is the minimum i believe you would want, as they are the ones rated for 8k 60hz, as far as i know they will be identical image wise once installed

Reactions: dreamerman
Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Unless happy with 30Hz ( i wouldn't be ), achieving 60Hz is going to require Hdmi 2.1 connection from the graphics or DP 1.4 spec gpu to Hdmi using an active adapter. That means having either Nvidia 3000 or Amd 6000 series for Hdmi 2.1 or use an DP adapter if your gpu doesn't have Hdmi 2.1 but has DP 1.4. Resolution quality is the same converted or not.

Regarding cables, if 8k 30Hz is ok then any high speed cable should be fine. If you do have a Hdmi 2.1 gpu and want 60Hz then you'll need ultra high speed Hdmi cable. Im not sure if ultra high speed Hdmi cable would still be necessary from a DP adapter though since video data undergoes compression at DP 1.4 spec.

dreamerman

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I am happy with 30hz as currently I am on 3840x2160@30hz with 65" 4k. Only as monitor and watching movies. Don't play games. Issue is graphics cards that can pump 8k resolutions is expensive. My 4k card is only $40 (Asus Nvidia GT210).

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
There are many cards that are pretty cheap nowadays that have hdmi 2.0 and can do 8k 30hz, 8k 60hz is going to take a little time however.

i'm not sure your gt210 is even capable of 4k, have a look for a graphics card with hdmi 2.0 atleast, like i said before hdmi 1.4 atleast for 4k 30hz

"This GeForce GT 210 card features 1GB of DDR3 VRAM and a 589 MHz GPU core for graphics processing, up to a maximum digital resolution of 2560 x 1600. Output options on the card include VGA, HDMI, and DVI-I DL to connect with both analog and digital monitors." Apologies if i have made a mistake but your display may be upscaling to fit the display and potentially not native 4k, i would recommend trying to check this, as it will make movies muddy and choppy, also movies are typically 33hz

33,177,600 pixels in an 8k screen, refreshed 30-60 times a second is a stupidly big number, sorry to tell you this but if you want to watch a movie in 8k, then both your processor and graphics card needs to be able to keep up with that too, if you are streaming a movie at that resolution then you need more ram to buffer it and faster internet speeds to avoid buffering in general, to give an example i have an fairly decent processor but watching even a compressed 8k youtube video pushes my cpu to 60%+, so if you want to get close to native 8k resolution this will need to be considered too

Hope this helps