Question DPC Latency while playing media on my PC

nagaprashanth0006

Prominent
Feb 18, 2018
I've built my PC last summer. When I play some media ( could be from Youtube or local video/audio) and even while playing games, sometimes randomly my PC's audio/video starts to stutter and it would clear off sometimes automatically(most of the times) if I pause the media for a while. Sometimes, it would stay forever until I reboot my PC. Could happen even when no media is being played. I've installed dpclat and latency mon and found out that 'storport.sys' and 'nvlddmkm.sys' are the reported drivers with maximum latency.

I did the following expecting to resolve this but no luck so far:
  1. Ran sfc /scannow.
  2. Uninstalled and reinstalled several drivers (audio, chipset, usbhub, graphic card etc). Also tried to update them from multiple sources(manufacturer website, Driver Pack Solution, Windows Update etc.).
  3. Boot into safemode and played the media .
  4. Checked the hardware slots, cables.
  5. Power settings are set to 'maximum performance' and HDD sleep is disabled.
  6. Disabled all sound effects.
  7. Replaced the RAM sticks in different slots.
Basically all the common stuff that I could find in google search.

Surprisingly, my ubuntu installed on the same machine (dual boot) does not seem to have this issue.
Also, if I run the following PS command 3-4 times this stuttering/latency seems to be held for sometime(and does not work all the time). As always, it would randomly comeback.

$ Get-process -name "vidia","nv","audio"| Stop-Process -Force

Repeating this seem to work but this cannot be the workaround forever.

Here is my PC HW config:

CPU: AMD R5 2600
MoBo: Gigabyte AX370M-DS3H-CF
Memory: 24 GB ( 1x 16 in Slot0, 2x 4 in slots 3, 4)
GPU: Zotac GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage: Disk 0 - SSD with windows 10,
Disk 1 - 1TB, Disk 2 500G, Disk 3 - 4TB <- All are seagate's Barracuda HDDs

By the time I typed till here, this issue got repeated twice. And latency mon reported 'storport.sys' latency as '101101.4' micro sec.

Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
1| Does nothing to be honest.

2| Never use third party apps to tell you if you've got the right drivers on your system. I've had to work on a system that had DriverBooster and that suggested a BIOS update that wasn't warranted and ended up with a bricked board. I didn't have the app, client decided to use it and kill his system.

3| Your specs list gives me a lot of concern. Remove the single stick of 16GB and make sure you've dropped in the 2x4GB sticks in the slits stated by the manual when running two sticks of ram in dual channel.

4| You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

5| What version of Windows 10 are you on?

6| Latest BIOS update for your motherboard? You also didn't state the make and model of your SSD.

Reactions: nagaprashanth0006

nagaprashanth0006

Prominent
Feb 18, 2018
1| Does nothing to be honest.

2| Never use third party apps to tell you if you've got the right drivers on your system. I've had to work on a system that had DriverBooster and that suggested a BIOS update that wasn't warranted and ended up with a bricked board. I didn't have the app, client decided to use it and kill his system.

3| Your specs list gives me a lot of concern. Remove the single stick of 16GB and make sure you've dropped in the 2x4GB sticks in the slits stated by the manual when running two sticks of ram in dual channel.

4| You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

5| What version of Windows 10 are you on?

6| Latest BIOS update for your motherboard? You also didn't state the make and model of your SSD.

For your comment on step3, initially only 2x4GB sticks were there in the slots 1 and 3 when it was built and I've added the 16G stick some 4-5 months ago. Issue was there even before adding it in.

I'm running windows 10 Pro 1904 build (licensed).

PSU is corsair's VS650. Brought along with all other components. Aged less than an year.

I did not update the BIOS. CPUz reports the version to be F22 and on gigabyte's site, F50a is the latest version available. Should I take the risk and update this?

My SSD is "Kingston SSDNow A400 120GB".

Last edited: