Question DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION blue screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 13, 2021
Bad weather can be a bummer Colif, but maybe if you are stuck inside you can help with my problem more! I am using the intel driver & support assistant already and have updated the intel wifi 6. I will try to update my router firmware today.

John, I had previously installed the chipset driver from Lenovo. Maybe the installer didn't work properly last time . Also, why wouldn't the intel assistant find this? I any case, I got it from Lenovo and installed it with no errors. However, when I look in device manager at the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I see "intel 400 series chipset family SATA AHCI controller" the driver details date is 12/20/2019. So I am not sure if I am not looking at the right place or the installer failed. There are no other chipsets under system devices.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021
Well I finally got feed up and went with the nuclear option and reinstalled windows 10. First I tried the fresh install tool, but it installed an old version of windows 10 and the updates failed so I could not update windows and the older version of windows was not compatible with the available Nvidia drivers. So I used the recovery media drive that I made when I first got the machine with the delete everything restore option and managed to get Windows setup and updated. Sadly though, after a couple of days of bliss the crashing started again just like before.:disrelieved:

So I guess either there is a bad driver out there that Windows loaded again or I have some hardware problem. What do you guys think? I am kind of going crazy with this one.

Here are the two recent minidump files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1fdn2hcsfzvwu65/AABMSIongTOyu9rg8I1EIlw1a?dl=0

Any common threads in these dumps? If it is hardware, what should I try first? I already removed and reset the drives and memory. Should I switch the memory locations? Should I remove one memory stick at a time and see if one is bad?

gardenman

Distinguished
I think both Colif and johnbl may be away at this time.

One crash is blaming the NVIDIA drivers. Considering using DDU again and trying a different version of the driver. Either the latest one, a slightly older one, or the one from Windows Update.

I cannot tell what the cause of the 2nd one is. Have you tried removing the 2 Corsair RAM sticks that you added and just running the system with 8GB of RAM it came with? I know this may limit your gaming but it's worth it for a week or two to see if you continue crashing or not. (If you continue crashing, go ahead and add them back in).

To answer your last question, I think it's worth a try. You might as well run memtest while you are at it if you haven't yet. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-test-your-ram.3691373/

Sep 13, 2021
Thanks gardenman, I have run memtest with all chips but can try it again. Also, the additional RAM chips are not new additions, about 1.5 years old. Nonetheless it is worth a shot to remove them for a while. I will also do a fresh DDU install.

What about a hard drive issue? I have 3 drives. The m2 SSD and HDD that came with it and a samsung SSD I added in one of the open drive slots. I could remove the other two drives for a while and see if the problem persists.

Sep 13, 2021
I misspoke when I said I had tested the memory like said. I had only used the built-in windows memory test. So followed the instructions you sent and ran a full memtest from the usb drive and it passed with no errors. I put the report html file in the dropbox folder.

Does this rule out any memory issues or could it still be the socket or something? I could move them around to different sockets, but there is only one free.

gardenman

Distinguished
It's likely the RAM is OK if you got no errors with 4 full passes with memtest. However, using software to test hardware, in any fashion isn't perfect and can't always be 100% accurate. Could there still be a RAM issue? It's possible, but unlikely. We've seen people pass memtest before, replace their RAM, and their BSODs go away. Rare, but it happens.

I would still suggest removing the extra RAM and testing for a few days without it. The same with any extra drives or unnecessary USB devices. Eliminate as much as you can.

Sep 13, 2021
Thanks to everyone's input on this problem. It has been stable for several days now. I wish I could say exactly what fixed it, but I did several things at once.

For my IDE ATA/ATAI controller in device manager, I set it to the standard built in driver instead of the updated intel one I got from Lenovo. This was suggested by several post on DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION. I think this was for an older problem with drives and I had done it previously without any improvement.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WchKOykPudw

I also turned on Verifier for a while, but didn't get any more crashes. Not clear how it would help with the reports anyway. But I followed this post which had some other setting changes associated with turning it on. https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-use-driver-verifier-windows-10/

The other thing that I did that might be the most likely is that I installed the older Nvidia driver that Lenovo had on its update page after DDU wipe in safe mode.

Reactions: gardenman

ASK THE COMMUNITY