Question DPC_Watchdog_Violation BSOD Windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane Hobday

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2013
I've recently been getting DPC_Watchdog_Violation BSOD a few times a week. It can happen at any time, gaming or just browsing the internet.

I've done the usual, memtest86, Windows memory diagnostic, and repair Windows 11 System Files with SFC and DISM tools but am still getting the error.

My SSD firmware is also up to date.

Specs:

Windows 11
RTX 4080
CREATIVE AE-5 PLUS SOUND CARD
i5 13600KF
ASUS PRIME Z790-P D4
WD SN850X
CORSAIR VENGENCE 16GB RAM
CORSAIR RM 850W PSU

The latest mini dumps are below. Any help is appreciated as this is very frustrating,

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
The DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bugcheck happens when a Deferred Procedure Call (DPC), which is essentially the back-end of device interrupt processing, or a collection of DPCs, runs for too long. If that happens the DPC watchdog is called and BSODs the system because something unusual and unexpected has happened. In the case of all your dumps the cause was nvrtxvad64v.sys, the Nvidia audio broadcast driver.

It's far from unusual for this driver to cause problems, so unless you really need it you're better off uninstalling this feature. Probably the most reliable way is to uninstall your Nvidia graphics driver using DDU, and then to reinstall the Nvidia driver being sure to uncheck the Nvidia audio driver.

If your sound devices are plugged into the motherboard audio ports then you don't need this driver at all. You only need it if your PC is connected to a home theater or you use only the monitor speakers via an HMDI connection. The version you have is 18 months old...
Code:
6: kd> lmDvmnvrtxvad64v
Browse full module list
start             end                 module name
fffff806`76e30000 fffff806`76e40000   nvrtxvad64v T (no symbols)         
    Loaded symbol image file: nvrtxvad64v.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\nvrtxvad64v.sys
    Image name: nvrtxvad64v.sys
    Browse all global symbols  functions  data
    Timestamp:        Sat Oct  2 09:17:54 2021 (6157F992)
    CheckSum:         000136B4
    ImageSize:        00010000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
    Information from resource tables:
If you really need it then look for an updated version.

Reactions: Kane Hobday

Kane Hobday

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2013
Thank you very much for the informative reply. I forgot to include in my specs a creative ae-5 sound card which my headphones are plugged into so I do not use onboard sound. Is the nvidia audio broadcast driver needed for the nvidia broadcast program? As I do use this for noise cancelling etc. Not sure why the driver is so old however as it has been recently updated.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
I honestly don't know, I have no experience of Nvidia sound (I don't install it). My best suggestion is to remove Nvidia audio as I suggested and see whether your noise cancelling etc. still works.

May 3, 2023
If your sound devices are plugged into the motherboard audio ports then you don't need this driver at all. You only need it if your PC is connected to a home theater or you use only the monitor speakers via an HMDI connection. The version you have is 18 months old...

Status
Not open for further replies.