Question DPC_Watchdog_Violation, Clean Install, Happens During Windows Updates, HELP!

IamTimTech

Admirable
Oct 13, 2014
Alright guys, it's been a while since I had to step up and ask for help but here I am. I have a customer's laptop on my desk and I'm about to pull my hair out, quit my job and start a career as a worm farmer in Canada.

I am working with a Toshiba Satellite P55W-C5200X that originally came with Windows 10. This laptop came in because it would stutter, lock up, start working properly for a little bit and then Blue Screen giving the error message "DPC_Watchdog_Violation" with no error code.

I've booted it into safe mode and it works fine, which tells me it is either a driver (which is common for this code) or a service that is hinging. I've tried most of my normal fixes, and even went to load Win 10 fresh on a brand new Crucial MX500 SSD. After the first batch of updates it does the exact same thing. I installed no other programs, just loaded windows and went straight into updates. Same thing.

I have also tried loading windows, installing drivers straight from Toshiba, and then updates, same thing. I even tried Snappy Driver (despite my disdain for 3rd part driver apps) to fetch the latest versions of drivers before running updates. Same thing.

I also tried two DDDR3L 4GB memory dimms just in case. Same thing.

At this point I have sank way more time than I can charge for, but now it has become a matter of stubbornness. So thus, I reach out to my Tom's friends for help. Any and all advice and suggestions are appreciated, thank you for your time!

[mod edit - spacing added]

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 10 Master
We could look at dump files

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Does laptop have latest bios?

laptop website - https://support.dynabook.com/support/modelHome?freeText=ZF031585S&osId=31 (this is more for me)

Is the win 10 installer new?

IamTimTech

Admirable
Oct 13, 2014
Will do, just got back into the office, so it will be tomorrow though. And yes, the laptop has the latest bios. The win 10 Installer is a previous version. I don't have an ISO or Disc of 1903 yet

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
The latest window update was to fix the DPC Latency issues on certain sound cards. (It caused sound syncing issues due to dynamic latency issues) Maybe it's related to that? What chipset is your sound card?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS