Apr 17, 2020
Hey all, I am using a brand new rig, here are the specs:
i9-9900KF 3.6
ASUS RTX 2080S
32GB DDR43600
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
1 TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

I installed my peripheral drivers, installed Steam, and installed the game I play (PUBG), started the game, and within 5 mins of playing the screen froze and I received a BSOD with DPC_Watchdog_Violation. All drivers are up to date, and went as far as to uninstall/reinstall the GPU driver and to no avail. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Solution
The memory QVL is Qualified Vendors List. It's a list from your motherboard manufacturer of devices (in this case memory) that were tested to be compatible with your motherboard. It will list specific model numbers.

NOT being on the QVL doesn't necessarily.mean your memory won't work, just that it either wasn't tested, or failed in testing.

You have tested your memory and have no errors?

You can also try disabling the XMP settings if running the memory with it's XMP profile. If stable, you'll have to play with overclocking it manually to increase the speed.

Posting a link to a dmp file may be helpful if it is a specific installed driver set that is causing the crash.

Disable turbo/fast options in the BIOS for testing.

A BIOS...
Some suggestions:

Disable any overclocks (if enabled).

Install ONLY the bare drivers..no GeForce Experience or anything else

Disable the hibernation system.

Disable all overlays.

Are you running in a 2x or 4x memory configuration? 4x alot harder on the memory controller than a 2x.

Is your memory on the memory QVL for your motherboard?

Change your power plan to keep devices powered up longer.

Reactions: keevot
Apr 17, 2020
Some suggestions:

Disable any overclocks (if enabled).

Install ONLY the bare drivers..no GeForce Experience or anything else

Disable the hibernation system.

Disable all overlays.

Are you running in a 2x or 4x memory configuration? 4x alot harder on the memory controller than a 2x.

Is your memory on the memory QVL for your motherboard?

Change your power plan to keep devices powered up longer.
I'm running 2 16GB, disabled overlays, and I'm not too sure what QVL even is lul. I do know that it looks like there is a BIOS update available for my Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 from ASRock? Maybe that'll work?

The memory QVL is Qualified Vendors List. It's a list from your motherboard manufacturer of devices (in this case memory) that were tested to be compatible with your motherboard. It will list specific model numbers.

NOT being on the QVL doesn't necessarily.mean your memory won't work, just that it either wasn't tested, or failed in testing.

You have tested your memory and have no errors?

You can also try disabling the XMP settings if running the memory with it's XMP profile. If stable, you'll have to play with overclocking it manually to increase the speed.

Posting a link to a dmp file may be helpful if it is a specific installed driver set that is causing the crash.

Disable turbo/fast options in the BIOS for testing.

A BIOS update may help compatibility.

Any RGB control software installed? Uninstall it.

Internet shaping /control software besides the bare drivers? Uninstall.

Case and CPU cooling not mentioned. Make sure these are adequate to the task and functioning.

Solution