[SOLVED] DRAM Calculator for 5900x

Status
Not open for further replies.

htoontm

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
I want to oc crucial ballistic 2x16G 3600mhz to 3800 mhz. DRAM Calculator for Ryzen 1.7.3 by 1usmus does not support. What software do you use to oc memory?

Thanks.

Solution
No. Because they are mostly pointless.

Most memory now, if it is validated for a given board, will work fine on most Ryzen systems from the 3000 and 5000 series platforms. So the NEED for the DRAM calculator is largely gone.

And, pushing it to 3800mhz IS going to incur a penalty on most systems. There are few combinations where that speed does not incur a penalty, although admittedly there might be some improvements in that regard on the 5000 series platform when using a B550 or X570 board. I can't say either way because I haven't worked with any 5000 series CPUs yet, and I also probably need to do some catch up reading on the IF behavior for this newer generation as it may have some improvements although what I've read so far has...
You don't USE software to overclock memory. Memory must be configured in the BIOS, and honestly there is no beneficial reason to even TRY to overclock that memory from 3600mhz to 3800mhz because you are going to incur a performance penalty when the memory goes from 1:1 infinity fabric ratio to 2:1.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-ram-scaling-effect-in-games,1.html

That penalty can be overcome with substantial increases in memory speed (Usually well over 4000mhz) but that generally is going to require BUYING memory that is intended to be run at that speed per it's validated advertised XMP profile. Trying to overclock a 3600mhz kit to a speed that's capable of overcoming the latency penalty when the fabric uncouples, and keeping it either within thermal specifications OR stable, is improbable.

And then, if you WERE able to do that, there would be a rather extensive stability testing process you need to, or rather, MUST do, to ensure stability because memory instability can and will cause MAJOR corruption of everything it touches if it's even minimally unstable. When I show most people the recommended process to validate stability, they say screw that, not worth it, and for most situations they are 100% correct. It's usually NOT worth it for the small amount of gains you actually get from overclocking your memory, especially once you factor in the latency penalty on Ryzen.

I would recommend you simply run it at the XMP value of 3600mhz. Gains beyond that are primarily only going to be noticeable on synthetic benchmarks anyhow.

Reactions: Krotow

htoontm

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
I have already done xmp profile value of 3600mhz. I will raise 1900 to sync up with 3800 mhz to avoid penalty. I just want to see if i can push it to 3800. With that said, do you know any dram calculator for 5900x?

No. Because they are mostly pointless.

Most memory now, if it is validated for a given board, will work fine on most Ryzen systems from the 3000 and 5000 series platforms. So the NEED for the DRAM calculator is largely gone.

And, pushing it to 3800mhz IS going to incur a penalty on most systems. There are few combinations where that speed does not incur a penalty, although admittedly there might be some improvements in that regard on the 5000 series platform when using a B550 or X570 board. I can't say either way because I haven't worked with any 5000 series CPUs yet, and I also probably need to do some catch up reading on the IF behavior for this newer generation as it may have some improvements although what I've read so far has indicated that there isn't a lot of change in that regard.

As I said before though, in reality, there is very little that you stand to gain even if you DO get it to run at 3800mhz, and don't incur the penalty, and DO manage to validate stability. And you had BETTER validate stability if you run that memory at ANYTHING other than 3600mhz or lower, because there are no configuration settings that are going to just be guaranteed stable no matter what any calculator or review or person might say.

Testing procedures to establish stability can be found at towards the end of my memory guide, here:

Solution
You don't USE software to overclock memory. Memory must be configured in the BIOS, and honestly there is no beneficial reason to even TRY to overclock that memory from 3600mhz to 3800mhz because you are going to incur a performance penalty when the memory goes from 1:1 infinity fabric ratio to 2:1.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-ram-scaling-effect-in-games,1.html

That penalty can be overcome with substantial increases in memory speed (Usually well over 4000mhz) but that generally is going to require BUYING memory that is intended to be run at that speed per it's validated advertised XMP profile. Trying to overclock a 3600mhz kit to a speed that's capable of overcoming the latency penalty when the fabric uncouples, and keeping it either within thermal specifications OR stable, is improbable.

And then, if you WERE able to do that, there would be a rather extensive stability testing process you need to, or rather, MUST do, to ensure stability because memory instability can and will cause MAJOR corruption of everything it touches if it's even minimally unstable. When I show most people the recommended process to validate stability, they say screw that, not worth it, and for most situations they are 100% correct. It's usually NOT worth it for the small amount of gains you actually get from overclocking your memory, especially once you factor in the latency penalty on Ryzen.

I would recommend you simply run it at the XMP value of 3600mhz. Gains beyond that are primarily only going to be noticeable on synthetic benchmarks anyhow.
DRAM Calculator for Ryzen 1.7.3 by 1usmus is not SW to overclock RAM but a guide how to set BIOS for best performance. SW would do that automatically, this is all done manually in BIOS.

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Status
Not open for further replies.