Question DRAM Compatibility

ReadyPlayer23

Prominent
Apr 17, 2019
Hi Guys

I'm new to the pc community and upgrading. I was given a fairly old office computer from someone. I feel it has potential though. It's an intel i7-4771 with an asus h81m-c mobo. I have upgraded the psu to raidmax rx-500 xt and have also bought a GeForce gtx 1050ti. However, I have questions regarding the ram. There is only 1x 8gb ADATA DDR3-1333 stick in there and there's only 1 slot left. Is it okay if I use another 8gb ddr3 from a different brand or do I have to stick with ADATA? Also, I know the ram has to stay as ddr3, but can I get, for example, a ddr3-1600 along with the current 1333?

No guaranties but you don't need to use same manufacturer but would be good to get RAM with same frequency, Cas latency and voltage.
If not exactly same frequency, plug slower one into first memory slot and between changes reset CMOS to factory values to help it find own settings.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together. You are free to do your own compatibility testing if you choose to use memory that has never been tested together before with no guarantees.

Workarounds to get extra memory to work include:
Lower memory clock speed
Relax DRAM timings
Raise DRAM voltage