[SOLVED] Dram debug led lit after 2 months of pc working fine

Dec 17, 2020
As the title says my pc has run comfortablely for over 2 months but am now getting a dram debug light when I power on and my monitors do not pick up any signal I have tried all variation of ram slots and get nothing tried with integrated graphics and GPU still nothing

By 2 months I changed my motherboard and CPU and has ran since then no issues:
MSI mag z390 tomahawk
I7 9700k
2x8gb hyperx ddr4
1070 gpu

Last edited:
Solution
Take some sandpaper and rub it on your hand. At first, all is good and there's no blood at all, just some scratches. At some point, all of a sudden, bang. You got blood everywhere.

Pretty graphic but realistic. Those older psus are like the sandpaper, you can run the pc just fine for days, weeks, even months and then finally the poor psu outputs that have put just enough scratch stress on motherboard or gpu components cause enough damage that something fails. A capacitor, a relay, a diode, something.

It's often not the psu that has failed, but the psu that's caused something else to fail and everything else could be almost right behind it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Owch. The CX600M is a somewhat pretty old design, any of those Green/White block letter insignia CX are. Very sub-par outputs and reliability, especially for more modern motherboards, cpus, gpus which realistically do far better with DC/DC psus, not the older group regulated platforms.

Reactions: Ralston18
Dec 17, 2020
Owch. The CX600M is a somewhat pretty old design, any of those Green/White block letter insignia CX are. Very sub-par outputs and reliability, especially for more modern motherboards, cpus, gpus which realistically do far better with DC/DC psus, not the older group regulated platforms.
I will look at trying a different pay if possible I will ask some friends if they have any but I don't see why would cause me problems now when has worked fine all this time

Ralston18

Titan
Based on @Karadjgne's post the PSU is indeed all the more suspect.

I have no direct knowledge (full disclosure) of that particular PSU.

However, "why would cause me problems now when has worked fine all this time " is characteristic of problem devices. And all the more so for low end devices.

Sooner or later they reach some threshold where due to age, poor design, cheap components, sloppy assembly, etc.. they simply just partially or fully begin to fail.

And eventual failure via EOL (End of Life) is designed into almost all products at all all tier levels.

That is the "why" as I view the problem at hand.

Dec 17, 2020
Based on @Karadjgne's post the PSU is indeed all the more suspect.

I have no direct knowledge (full disclosure) of that particular PSU.

However, "why would cause me problems now when has worked fine all this time " is characteristic of problem devices. And all the more so for low end devices.

Sooner or later they reach some threshold where due to age, poor design, cheap components, sloppy assembly, etc.. they simply just partially or fully begin to fail.

And eventual failure via EOL (End of Life) is designed into almost all products at all all tier levels.

That is the "why" as I view the problem at hand.
I have tried with a cx500 my friend had and he tried it on a bread-board system before giving it to me and I get same result so I don't think it is psu related

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Take some sandpaper and rub it on your hand. At first, all is good and there's no blood at all, just some scratches. At some point, all of a sudden, bang. You got blood everywhere.

Pretty graphic but realistic. Those older psus are like the sandpaper, you can run the pc just fine for days, weeks, even months and then finally the poor psu outputs that have put just enough scratch stress on motherboard or gpu components cause enough damage that something fails. A capacitor, a relay, a diode, something.

It's often not the psu that has failed, but the psu that's caused something else to fail and everything else could be almost right behind it.

Solution