[SOLVED] DRAM error on new build ?

Feb 27, 2022
I recently build my first gaming pc without any help from experienced builders and for the first 3 days I had no issues. Then it suddenly froze and crashed during game, so I restarted and began monitoring temp values etc. I played yet another day or two, before it crashed again, with gpu temp never exeeding 60 degrees, and cpu 55 degrees. However the next crash has so far been permanent, and when I try to boot the yellow LED-indicator tells me there is a DRAM error. I've also tried another motherboard to rule out any issues with the GPU or PSU.

The motherboard does have scratches around one of the CPU cooler screws, but it had been working fine for almost a week, so I'm having a hard time accepting that's the issue. And the DIMM slots B1 and B2 haven't been working either (maybe due to the scratch?), but it's been running fine with the RAMs mounted in A1 and A2.

I've tried:
  • Loosening the CPU bracket screws
  • Resetting CMOS
  • Remounting CPU and GPU
  • Applying electrical tape on scratches
Specs:
Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming (wifi)
Intel Core i7-10700K
Kingston Fury 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
Asus RTX 3080 TUF OC V2
Samsung EVO 850
Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2
Corsair RM1000i Gold - 1000W

My question is then, is there anything I can do to fix it, or should I just accept my loss and toss the motherboard?

Solution
Looks like the copper traces from RAM ro CPU socket are damaged, you need a new board. As is is the cooler hole you MUST have mounted it incorrectly as the screws/nut should never directly contact the Mobo itself in that way if installed right, there are always standoffs required. The fact that 2 Memory lanes are already dead should add a further confirmation the the traces are pretty badly damaged.

Sorry for your board but believe me WE all here have made the Homer Simpson "dough" mistakes !!!!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're able to get into BIOS, can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? As for your CMOS battery, you're advised to disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and then press and hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds to drain any residual power from the build. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes.

Perhaps shoot us some images of the scratch you speak of. If the traces on the motherboard, from the CPU to the rams are damaged(probable) then you will need to either ask your seller for an RMA or ditch the board for a new one.

Reactions: Cramedrop
Looks like the copper traces from RAM ro CPU socket are damaged, you need a new board. As is is the cooler hole you MUST have mounted it incorrectly as the screws/nut should never directly contact the Mobo itself in that way if installed right, there are always standoffs required. The fact that 2 Memory lanes are already dead should add a further confirmation the the traces are pretty badly damaged.

Sorry for your board but believe me WE all here have made the Homer Simpson "dough" mistakes !!!!

Solution
Feb 27, 2022
I must've accidentally thrown the standoffs out then, I've never seen them.

Out of interest, how is it possible than it can function for a week before it's permanently ruined?

And thanks for the help!

What might have changed since all was well?

A common symptom of bent socket pins is ram issues.
If, during the process of mounting the cpu into the socket, it did not drop in cleanly, and you smooshed it around to get it seated, it is easy to damage some socket pins.

If you mounted the motherboard in the case without using standoffs, a short is very likely.

Is your 16gb of ram a 2 x 8gb kit, or two identical 8gb part numbers?

Take all parts out of the case, and install only the minimum number of components needed to get into the bios.
No graphics card(use integrated), no drives.
If you can get into the bios,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

And of course, here is a picture of the scratch.Motherboard scratch
Replace the board.

tUBb88Y.jpeg

Feb 27, 2022
Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm really amazed how fast I got help.

I'll buy another motherboard, and possibly another cpu cooler that doesn't damage my card.

I'm still not quite sure how its possible that it can function for a while, and then just completely set out, but I'm guessing it doesn't take much for the short to happen.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf
Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm really amazed how fast I got help.

I'll buy another motherboard, and possibly another cpu cooler that doesn't damage my card.

I'm still not quite sure how its possible that it can function for a while, and then just completely set out, but I'm guessing it doesn't take much for the short to happen.
<<just follow the instructions, I think you did not put the CPU backplate on and that is how you damaged the board, we live and learn !!!