[SOLVED] DRAM error (orange LED) on ASUS TUF gaming x570 Plus Wifi with AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - No video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2020
I recently carried out a build with the following components:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Mobo: ASUS TUF Gaming x570 Plus wifi
  • PSU: Corsair RM750x 80 PLUS Gold
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio
When I hit the power button, there are signs the system is receiving power (e.g. lights and fans turn on), however, I receive no video to my monitor (tried HDMI ports on both GPU and mobo) and there is an orange error LED on the motherboard, next to the DRAM label. I read on older forums that the DIMM slots can be tricky on this board and reseating them can sometimes do the trick, so I reseated them several times, in every possible combination (including each stick individually). So while there is a slim possibility that the RAM is faulty, it certainly is not an issue with placement.

Initially I tried the whole setup, then just the essential components, out of case, to see if it was any expansions causing the issue (such as my GPU or additional HDD) - same issue, DRAM light on, no video to monitor. It is worth noting, I took care to make sure the cables were securely conected, in case this was causing the issue previously inside the chassis.

After some further reading, it seems the new Ryzen 5000 series may not be compatible by default with x570 mobos, as they require the AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 patch - which makes sense, as I purchased my board prior to 23/10/2020, when this patch was released. However, with my mobo, there is no option to flash BIOS update like with some other 570 boards. It seems this issue happened with the 3000 series also, and AMD ended up sending out 'boot kits' to users facing this issue - so they could update their BIOS. I've not seen something similar on offer yet for the 5000 series. Even so, would this compatibility issue justify the behaviour I am seeing? Or is there potentially something else wrong here? I would appreciate any advice or tips - I am sure there may be others beginning to face the same issue as more people start picking up new AMD chips.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Go through your motherboard manual, page 3-22, and see if you can flash the BIOS using the Crash Free BIOS option, with the BIOS file on the root of the USB drive. Outside of that, I'd advise in you trying to contact AMD or your local PC repair shop and see if they can update the BIOS for you with an older gen processor.

Which slots are the sticks of ram populating on the motherboard?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Go through your motherboard manual, page 3-22, and see if you can flash the BIOS using the Crash Free BIOS option, with the BIOS file on the root of the USB drive. Outside of that, I'd advise in you trying to contact AMD or your local PC repair shop and see if they can update the BIOS for you with an older gen processor.

Hi Lutfij,

Thanks for your response. I tried to trigger the CrashFree BIOS option, via USB drive that I downloaded the latest BIOS onto. However nothing seemed to be happening when I powered on. Thinking back, I cannot remember if I already had the USB inserted into the port before I turned on the system - could this make a difference if I power on first, then insert the USB? Also, does it have to be a specific port - or just any of the USB 3 ports on the mobo?

Nov 15, 2020
Which slots are the sticks of ram populating on the motherboard?

I missed this line when I first replied - initially I tried B2 & A2 (2nd and 4th from CPU respectively); then just A2 - these 2 configs are the recommended configs per manual; then just B1; then just A1

Nov 15, 2020
Update: I have now managed to get my mobo up and running. The issue was the outdated BIOS, and it required a BIOS flash to make the x570 TUF Gaming Plus Wifi compatible with the AMD 5000 series CPUs. Here are the steps I took to fix:
  1. Opened a support ticket with ASUS using their webform - selecting the category technical support and filling out your MOBO details (you will need to evidence this communication chain later to AMD)
  2. ASUS provided a response with some guidance, confirming that it is a BIOS flash required, directing me to this AMD support page
  3. At this point you have a few options:
    • Update from the retailer - i.e. have the hardware retailer perform a BIOS flash for you
    • USB BIOS flashback - if you have a different board than mine, and it supports USB BIOS Flash, follow your user manual to utilise this feature
    • Manufacturer replacement (ASUS did not offer this in my case)
    • Update BIOS using an older, compatible CPU
    • Short-Term Processor Loan Boot Kit
  4. I opted for the Short term boot kit loan, as the first 4 options were not viable/ideal for me. To initiate this, I completed the AMD warranty request web form , stating the problem description as 'Boot Kit Required'
  5. AMD will then respond and check you have attempted the simpler options, and request some proof of ownership etc. the documents I was asked for include:
    • Summary or copy of your communication with the motherboard manufacturer - for this, attach ASUS' response from step #2
    • Picture of your Ryzen processor that clearly shows the Model number and Serial number
    • Copy of your purchase invoice for the CPU
    • Picture of your motherboard clearly displaying the make and model number
  6. As long as your information is correct, and you are eligible, your request will be authorised and AMD will ship your 'Boot Kit' to your home address (paid return label included)
  7. Download the latest BIOS to a USB or CD, from your motherboards support page
  8. Once the Boot Kit arrives (for me it was just a Ryzen 3 3100 chip) install the CPU per AMD's guidance and boot up your machine, if your BIOS was the only issue, your machine should pass POST and present you the BIOS screen
  9. Update the BIOS using the EZ Flash utility, or your mobo equivalent, per your user manual, selecting the BIOS file you downloaded
  10. Now.. you wait! Do not disturb the system while the BIOS is updating. Once complete, you can re-install your 5000 series processor in your system and boot again - at this stage, your hardware should be compatible with the BIOS and you should be able to proceed as normal.
  11. Finally, return your boot kit to AMD using the shipping label provided
I know this is a lengthy answer, but wanted it to be comprehensive, as I struggled when I faced the issue. Hope it helps someone down the line!

Reactions: Zaki79
Jan 22, 2021
@VentoUK thank you very much for this detailed description of this problem. I've spent a whole day reconnecting cables, checking everything without any luck. Orange DRAM led light was all that I've seen. I thought that there was something wrong with my RAM (but 4 bad pieces? no way)
I own ASUS TUF x570 Gaming and Ryzen 5800x. I'll have my bios updated tomorrow and we'll see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS