[SOLVED] DRAM frequency resets to default every after cold boot

mcad

Commendable
Apr 9, 2020
Hi, I have a 2x8 RGB Trident Z, 3000 mhz and the problem I have is even though I've already configured my DRAM in BIOS to use the XMP profile, it still goes back to the default frequency (2133 mhz) every time I cold boot my PC.

So I always had to restart my computer and go to BIOS but weirdly enough, I always see that the XMP profile is already being used, so I hit F10 without changing anything and after that it works. It's just annoying to always restart my PC every after a cold boot just to change my DRAM's frequency.

Is there some setting in the BIOS that will make it always use XMP after cold boot? or am I just doing something wrong?

My board is an X570 AORUS Ultra if that helps

Solution
Do you have the latest BIOS? Try a hard reset by removing power and battery, then try again.

Try a lower DRAM Frequency to see if it has the same issue.
The cmos battery is what keeps your settings through a complete power off. Possibly the battery needs replacing.

As a suggestion, instead of powering off, use sleep to ram(no hibernate) instead.
The pc and monitor will enter a very low power state almost like power off.
wake/sleep becomes only a matter of a few seconds.

mcad

Commendable
Apr 9, 2020
How fresh is your cmos battery? Is the memory settings the only thing not being retained?
I just bought my pc around October 2019, haven't changed the cmos battery since then

and yeah I think it's only the memory settings, though it's the only thing I change in the BIOS

mcad

Commendable
Apr 9, 2020
The cmos battery is what keeps your settings through a complete power off. Possibly the battery needs replacing.

As a suggestion, instead of powering off, use sleep to ram(no hibernate) instead.
The pc and monitor will enter a very low power state almost like power off.
wake/sleep becomes only a matter of a few seconds.
cmos battery huh, I guess I should replace it if the other fixes won't work. For now I'll try updating the BIOS.

mcad

Commendable
Apr 9, 2020
I updated my bios to the latest, and it seems like it worked! :O

I just booted my PC from cold boot and my DRAM doesn't reset to default anymore.

Thanks a bunch to those who helped :)