DRAM LED lit on new build, will work after hitting reset button

Mar 31, 2018
I just completed a new build with:
MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC MATX mobo
Intel i7-8700k and MA410P air cooler
2x 8GB G.Skill DDR4 3200 Tridentz RGB RAM (Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZR)
Samsung 960 EVO M.2
EVGA G3 650w PSU
No video card currently, just using onboard

On first boot, the build fans start spinning, but the DRAM LED motherboard error light comes on and no video is output. After playing around with swapping RAM slots and video cables, nothing seemed to fix the issue. I have both RAM modules in the dual channel slots. Eventually I discovered that hitting the computer case's reset button after the computer is hung at the DRAM LED error will reset the computer and it boots perfectly with no LED error lights. Both modules showed up in the BIOS and I was able to install Windows and the memory shows up there too. Very odd.

The issue is that this same situation happens every time the computer is turned off. When powering back up, the computer hangs with the DRAM LED and no video. Hit the reset button on the case and everything works again. Very annoying. I figured I would try updating the BIOS, and ended up doing that successfully via the Windows app. The problem with hanging until a reset still persists.

I reached out to MSI and the first thing they asked is if my RAM is on their support list. It is not - although veryyy similar models are, and likely isn't on their list because it is RGB. Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZ is on their list and mine just has the "R" for what I assume is RGB at the very end of basically the exact same RAM model. G.Skill actually lists this motherboard for my RAM kit on their QVL.

So with my exact model not on MSI's list their tech support won't even help me troubleshoot, saying that I should use "compatible" RAM. Understandable I suppose, but sucks for me.

Has anyone tested RGB G.Skill RAM in a similar situation with MSI boards? It seems odd that the issue I'm having is a RAM compatibility issue - wouldn't the computer just never boot if the RAM wasn't compatible? Also odd that the RAM shows up in BIOS after hitting the reset button. The RGB works too and even shows up and can be controlled by MSI's mystic light sync Windows application.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Made sure that frontpanel connectors are on the right pins? I know odd question since ram led is on,but since it's fixed by reset button i wonder ....

You use the second and fourth slot from cpu for ram?

If using the next tool (or look in the bios) what bios is given?

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
in the system summary (top window that opens)at the left lower quarter you see what bios is run.

Think btw that they make it easy on their part by not helping looking at that reaction of MSI. You bought their product and they just let you hang,not helping you but felt compelled to say this.
There's a G.Skill rep here who maybe could help,see if i can ask around how to get in touch,otherwise is there also a forum at G.Skill as well,
http://www.gskill.us/forum/index.php

Have a friend with ddr4 ready pc? So you could test there ...

Mar 31, 2018
Thanks again for the responses Vic. I ended up RMAing the motherboard and the replacement fixed my issues.

I agree the response from MSI was ridiculous and I probably would have just tried a different vendor -
but there just aren't a lot of options for the setup I want. I actually reached out to G.Skill after you had suggested that and they ended up being much more helpful.

In the end, I used one stick initially on the new motherboard and updated the BIOS and then added the other stick. They both show up perfectly in the BIOS with or without XMP. Not sure if both sticks would have worked right off the bat as I didn't try that.

Hopefully I won't need to talk to MSI support again going forward...