EmeraldCube

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
I've recently bought myself an asrock h470 steel legend motherboard coupled with an i5 11400 and 2x8 ddr4 gskill aegis 3000mhz ram only to find that after trying to boot up my pc...it wouldn't boot...

The fans would spin and all, there'd be rgb led's all over the place but no image.

Only the DRAM LED would light up along with the CPU LED but the CPU LED lights on for less than a second and then turns off.

I've tried all the slots with only one stick of ram, I've tried both sticks in different places...heck, I even tried turning it on without ram but I still get the same issue.
I've also tried flushing the CMOS and yet again, nothing.

Later I found that there's something called "QVL list" of supported and tested rams...which I didn't think existed since this is my first "modern" pc build and thing s only got more complicated. Seems there's a list of rams that my motherboard supports and a list of motherboards that a ram supports.

I've put my memory for sale since I can't use it but before I do, do any of you have any advice on what to do or how to get the system to boot?
Could it be that it won't turn on because I have an 11th gen cpu on a h470 motherboard despite the fact that it's an 11'th gen supported motherboard?

Also, I plan on buying an ssd, samsung 870 QVO, should I be worried that it might not work with the motherboard since it's not in the QVL list?
Also, if you have a similar build, could you share your pc specs with me so you give me an idea on what to lookout for when making a purchase?

Solution
That board requires a bios update(P1.6 or newer) to work with 11th gen cpus. Since that board does not support usb bios flashback you need a compatible CPU inorder to flash the bios.
Options.
Return the motherboard and get one that supports 11th gen out of the box(500 series) or supports usb bios flashback
Return the cpu and get a 10th gen cpu
Buy a cheap 10th gen cpu and use it update the bios then keep as a spare or sell
Find a local shop and pay them to update the bios
If you have a friend with a 10th gen cpu ask to borrow it so you can use it to update your bios.

No reason the 870 QVO wouldn't work with that board, QVL lists are not the be all end all of compatibility, manufactures can not test all the ram and drives...

bignastyid

Titan
That board requires a bios update(P1.6 or newer) to work with 11th gen cpus. Since that board does not support usb bios flashback you need a compatible CPU inorder to flash the bios.
Options.
Return the motherboard and get one that supports 11th gen out of the box(500 series) or supports usb bios flashback
Return the cpu and get a 10th gen cpu
Buy a cheap 10th gen cpu and use it update the bios then keep as a spare or sell
Find a local shop and pay them to update the bios
If you have a friend with a 10th gen cpu ask to borrow it so you can use it to update your bios.

No reason the 870 QVO wouldn't work with that board, QVL lists are not the be all end all of compatibility, manufactures can not test all the ram and drives available and continue to do so after new things are released.

Solution

EmeraldCube

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
Ah, that's a bummer. Do you know any way for me to check what my current bios is without turning on the motherboard?
I'll see what I can do, I'll find someone with a 10th gen cpu probably.

EDIT:
Nevermind, found the sticker...it says it has P1.00 BIOS on it...that's really, really sad...Ahhh

Last edited: