[SOLVED] DRAM light and won't post after upgrading RAM

Cocosay

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015
I had vengeance LPX 3000mhz (2x8gb) and upgraded to same brand but 3200mhz (2x16gb) for my Asus prime z390-a.

After upgrading, the DRAM light is on (orange and stays on) and computer won't post. Tried every slots, 1 and/or 2 sticks at a time with the same result. Only thing I didn't try is to remove the cmos battery (didn't have time yet).

I tried to put back my old ram and now I have the same issue. Again I tried every slot.

The new ones probably need a cmos reset but why would the old ones give me the same result?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Solution
Pull the plug out of the psu. Push/hold the power button until all the leds go out, there's usually an audible click/tick from the psu. Then touch the cmos reset pins down near the gpu with a paperclip or butter knife or flathead screwdriver to short them out. Don't have to pull the battery that way. Takes like 30 seconds total. Or less.

That forces the bios to rerun memory training. It's sort of half way there with the hardware changes you've done, which is why the old sticks don't seem viable. Just put the ram in as you want after cmos reset and before plugging the psu back in.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pull the plug out of the psu. Push/hold the power button until all the leds go out, there's usually an audible click/tick from the psu. Then touch the cmos reset pins down near the gpu with a paperclip or butter knife or flathead screwdriver to short them out. Don't have to pull the battery that way. Takes like 30 seconds total. Or less.

That forces the bios to rerun memory training. It's sort of half way there with the hardware changes you've done, which is why the old sticks don't seem viable. Just put the ram in as you want after cmos reset and before plugging the psu back in.

Reactions: Cocosay
Solution

Cocosay

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015

I'll let you know tomorrow if that worked!

Cocosay

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015
On power up, it might boot several times, so be patient, the bios does have to go through its own processes before getting a stable boot setup.
Any idea how long can it take? When I first power up after the short, it shuts down 1s later and restarts, DRAM light still on and waited 10ish minutes with no results.