[SOLVED] DRAM Light is on and the fans seem to pulse

CrispyPotato

Reputable
Dec 13, 2019
I just built my little brother a new PC, only one RAM stick will light up and then when I turn it on, it will run fine then the screen will go black and the DRAM light will come on and then the PC does a weird pulse where all the fans have a little stutter then run for 2 seconds then pulse then run for 2 sec etc. Any help?

MOBO- Asus x570 WIFI Plus
GPU-Asus 1660 Super
CPU- AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM- Corsair vengeance 2 8g 3200
PSU-EVGA 600 bronze

Solution
So, memory support is different for the 3000 series than it is for the 2000 series. The 2600x certainly CAN support 3200mhz memory kits, depending on the CPU sample itself (Because some samples will be better and will simply perform better than others including in the area of memory operations), the motherboard AND the memory kit, and whether or not that kit has been specifically validated as compatible on that motherboard or not.

That kit IS validated for that motherboard, but whether it's validated on that board when using the Ryzen 2000 series CPU or not, I don't know because Corsair does not differentiate on their memory finder utility for Ryzen 2000 series products like G.Skill does on their memory configurator. I do know that...
WHICH DIMM slots do you have the memory installed in? Starting at the CPU and going towards the edge of the motherboard, 1, 2, 3, 4?

Please also TRIPLE check everything suggested here, even if you THINK you already have. It is usually a really good idea to remove and reinstall all connections, memory, graphics card, etc., because OFTEN just the act of doing so resolves a lot of unexplained issues.

If nothing turns up from any of that, then I'd suggest it is probably a good idea to remove the CPU cooler and CPU and check the CPU for any bent or broken pins.

Also, what is the ACTUAL model of the power supply? EVGA makes a number of 600w models and to be perfectly frank, most of them are very poor quality. If the unit is a W1, N1, B1, BR or BQ model, I'd probably recommend returning it immediately and getting something that is higher quality because those units tend to have an especially poor track record when used with any system that has a discreet graphics card installed, and just in general for that matter. EVGA sells some good power supplies, mostly older models like the B2, G2, G3, GQ, P2 and T2 series units, but most of what they sell now isn't on par with the quality or performance of any of those models anymore since they dropped Super Flower as their OEM of choice.

That doesn't mean everything they sell is junk, but the N1, W1, B1, BQ and BR models, pretty much are.

CrispyPotato

Reputable
Dec 13, 2019
WHICH DIMM slots do you have the memory installed in? Starting at the CPU and going towards the edge of the motherboard, 1, 2, 3, 4?

Please also TRIPLE check everything suggested here, even if you THINK you already have. It is usually a really good idea to remove and reinstall all connections, memory, graphics card, etc., because OFTEN just the act of doing so resolves a lot of unexplained issues.

If nothing turns up from any of that, then I'd suggest it is probably a good idea to remove the CPU cooler and CPU and check the CPU for any bent or broken pins.

Also, what is the ACTUAL model of the power supply? EVGA makes a number of 600w models and to be perfectly frank, most of them are very poor quality. If the unit is a W1, N1, B1, BR or BQ model, I'd probably recommend returning it immediately and getting something that is higher quality because those units tend to have an especially poor track record when used with any system that has a discreet graphics card installed, and just in general for that matter. EVGA sells some good power supplies, mostly older models like the B2, G2, G3, GQ, P2 and T2 series units, but most of what they sell now isn't on par with the quality or performance of any of those models anymore since they dropped Super Flower as their OEM of choice.

That doesn't mean everything they sell is junk, but the N1, W1, B1, BQ and BR models, pretty much are.

They are in 2 and 4, the PSU is the 600 BQ 80 Broze. Im not sure if thats what the problem is. But there is still a problem with the two ram sticks. I pulled them both out and then tested them both by themselves and they both worked. but they dont work when together...

So, memory support is different for the 3000 series than it is for the 2000 series. The 2600x certainly CAN support 3200mhz memory kits, depending on the CPU sample itself (Because some samples will be better and will simply perform better than others including in the area of memory operations), the motherboard AND the memory kit, and whether or not that kit has been specifically validated as compatible on that motherboard or not.

That kit IS validated for that motherboard, but whether it's validated on that board when using the Ryzen 2000 series CPU or not, I don't know because Corsair does not differentiate on their memory finder utility for Ryzen 2000 series products like G.Skill does on their memory configurator. I do know that there a lot of people that can't get most memory kits aside from the very high end Samsung B-die kits to run at speeds higher than 2933mhz on a lot of systems using 2000 series CPUs. Ryzen 3000 series CPUs have much better memory compatibility and are a little more accommodating when it comes to selection, although, not by that much.

I'm assuming though that you are not actually trying to get them to run at the XMP profile yet, just trying to get them to run AT ALL, right?

Try this. Try each of them, individually, in the 2nd slot over from the CPU. See if they both work there. Then, try each of them, separately, in the 4th slot, see if they both work there. Then try them with both installed in the two slots and if they don't work try swapping the locations of each stick so that the one that was first in slot 2 is now in slot 4, just for grins.

If they still won't work, but do each work individually, then I'd remove the CPU cooler and check the CPU for any sort of bent pin or pins. This is a very common cause of memory issues.

First though, you might take that memory kit and try it in your system, with your current memory removed, to see if it does the same thing it's doing in your brothers system. If it is, then I'd RMA the memory kit. If it doesn't, then it's likely a bent pin on the CPU or a bad motherboard.

Solution