Question DRAM light on Asus board is on and won't post (but with an interesting twist)

Oct 7, 2022
Hi Everyone.
I've lurked here for years for technical help but I have had this problem go on for months and I am at my wits end and I am reaching out for help.

About 5 months back I built a new computer. After 3 months, that common problem people have with ASUS motherboards happened to me where DRAM light was yellow and it would not post. I looked around and after some trial and error, I was able to get the computer to post by removing RAM from the A1 and A2* Dimm slots. I checked and all the RAM seemed to work fine, just not in the A1 and A2* slots.

So I called up ASUS and got a replacement motherboard, put in the new motherboard and not only was the DRAM yellow light was on but the same DIMM Slots (A1 and A2) seemed to be the reason it would not Post. So after I talking with ASUS again, they just sent me another replacement. I just installed the new motherboard and it is the exact same problem (the DRAM yellow light, won't post, works when RAM is not in the A1 and A2 Dimm slots).

Now two motherboards with the same problem I think could happen, but after three motherboards having the exact same problem, I am starting to think that there might be something else wrong with my build that isn't the motherboard. I could really use some help with trying to figure this problem out. I am leaving for vacation tomorrow so my replies might take a bit.

In summary: I have gotten the same three motherboards that gets the yellow DRAM light error ASUS motherboards seem to get. All of the motherboards would not work with RAM in either the A1 and/or A2* DIMM slots and will only work with ram in the B1 or B2* DIMM slots. I think this might not be motherboard issue anymore and would like some help.

System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core
Motherboard: ASUS AM4 Tuf Gaming X570-Plus Wi-Fi
Cooling: CORSAIR iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT, 360mm Radiator
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
Storage: SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming, 12G-P5-3657-KR, 12GB GDDR6
PSU: Corsair RMX Series (2021), RM750x
Chassis: Lian Li LI PC-O11 Dynamic EVO Black ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case - O11DEX

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

All of the motherboards would not work with RAM in either the A1 and/or A2* DIMM slots and will only work with ram in the B1 or B2* DIMM slots.
That's indicative of the Integrated memory controller being the culprit. Try and drop your processor onto a known working motherboard(with all slots known to be working for the ram) and see if the issue is reciprocated.

Just as a double check, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022
All of the motherboards would not work with RAM in either the A1 and/or A2* DIMM slots and will only work with ram in the B1 or B2* DIMM slots.
That's indicative of the Integrated memory controller being the culprit. Try and drop your processor onto a known working motherboard(with all slots known to be working for the ram) and see if the issue is reciprocated.

Just as a double check, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?
Thanks for replying. I do not have another motherboard to try to test my processor that way.

The BIOS version is 4403.

Sep 10, 2022
if using 4 sticks all 4 slots will be used, if using 2 sticks, even to try which stick is bad, you should use A2 B2 slots, means you should pull out sticks from A1 and B1.
Try that way, use only 2 sticks, put these 2 on A2 B2, working fine? Try another 2 sticks on those two slots. Also working fine? So your kits are good. No bad stick whatsoever.

Done the above steps, reset your CMOS, which will reset your bios back to default.

Then put all 4 again in your motherboard.
Try to boot again. Can it be done just fine?

Apply XMP profile, make sure the voltage adjusted to what your DIMM required, most likely 1.35v. See also VSOC, CLDO VDDP, VDDG CCD, VDDG IOD,.

VSOC normally around 1.050-1.100v when using xmp profile,

Last edited: