• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Dram light on Mobo after failed bios update?

Jun 3, 2020
Hi there, I have an Asus Rog strix x370 gaming-f motherboard. I recently got a ryzen 7 3700x but needed to update the motherboard bios to use it. I put in my old ryzen 5 1600 to get the motherboard to actually turn on then I tried updating the bios from a flash drive. This is where I messed up so please don't grill me on this. I didn't attach the CPU cooler all the way to the old 1600 and I believe it overheated and died while trying to update the bios.

I got an AMD athlon 200ge that I know works to finish the bios update, with the cooler properly attached. Now the dram light on my motherboard lights up. No signal on my monitors, I tried plugging them in to the motherboard and my Gpu directly. Since the CPU is an athlon 200ge it has video output.

Asus has this thing called crashfree bios 3 where even if the bios is corrupted or whatever it will still boot up but you'll have to put in a flash drive to install it properly. The thing is I can't even get a signal because of the dram light. I tried each stick of ram solo in each slot and it won't go away. Could the CPU dying mid bios update possibly have messed them up?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS