[SOLVED] DRAM Light on MSI X570 Tomahawk on

Oct 21, 2021
So, first, my tale of woe. I'm providing a fair amount of detail both for diagnostic purposes and so others can learn from my error.

I built the computer in July of 2020, and it's worked great until a week and a half ago.

Components:
MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
Phanteks Eclipse P500A High Airflow Case
AMD Ryzen 9 3rd Gen - RYZEN 9 3900X Matisse (Zen 2) 12-Core 3.8 GHz (4.6 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4
DEEPCOOL Assassin III CPU Cooler
Cooler Master MPY-7501-AFAAG-US MWE 750 Gold Full Modular, 80+ Gold Certified 750W Power Supply
Samsung (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe
G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

(There's also two SSDs and a HDD attached.)

At that time, I was using it, and it powered off unprompted with a slightly audible click. It powered on again without complaint, and I continued to use it for about 6 more hours when it died completely.

I first tried purchasing a Corsair PSU to replace it, assuming the issue was the PSU. It WAS the psu, initially, but apparently the Corsair and the Cooler Master modular cables don't play nice, or I didn't quite get them seated (though I'm pretty sure I did). The computer remained dead - no lights, nothing. Previously the RAM would light up even when the computer was sleeping, much to my irritation.

Anyway, when that didn't work, I ordered a new mobo (same as the old), figuring if mobo wasn't lighting up to a new PSU, and it wasn't the PSU, had to be the mobo. New mobo arrived, I swapped them out.

UNFORTUNATELY, before the swap, I did not test the old and new PSUs with a short test on the cable (sockets 4 and 5 on Coolermaster), or on mobo. If I had, I would know that it WAS a dead PSU...more on that later.

When removing the Deepcool III, the cpu came off with the cooler. On further reading this is apparently somewhat common. The cpu came off despite the retaining lever still being in place.

Unfortunately, the pins on one part of one row of the cpu were bent slightly during the removal. I used a razor blade to bend them back into place carefully, and after a little wriggling, was able to reseat the cpu in the mobo. I then reassembled it. The computer did not work.

I then discussed with friends, and did some testing on the psus. I determined via short tests that the computer was not receiving power with the old psu, and that the mobos (old and new) were getting power through the new PSU. I ordered a replacement Cooler Master to deal with a minor cable incompatability, and reassembled it on arrival, swapping back to the old mobo (and the CPU came out with the Deepcool III AGAIN). The motherboard FINALLY lit up. But, so did one of the EZDebug lights, the DRAM.

Specifically, the lights would cycle up past DRAM, light up and turn off CPU, then light up DRAM (in fast succession). Only DRAM remains lit.

The RAM sticks were fine before, but I removed them. They were previously in slots 2 and 4, if you begin counting in the slot closest to the CPU.

Reseating both had no effect. I then swapped them - no effect. I then pulled one of them, leaving only one in slot 2. No effect. Then the other in slot 2. No effect.

So, I'm now at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed. After some research it seems likely that the cpu damage is the problem, but no pins were lost, and the cpu pins are VERY close to their original configurations.

Options include but are not limited to:
  1. Swapping everything to the new mobo to rule out damage to the cpu slot from removal of chip without release. A bit afraid of further cpu damage, but have worked out a different way to swap cpu/cooler that should avoid it.
  2. Buying a new cpu. 429 plus would likely add a 55 protection plan (never bought such a plan in the past, but the risk of more damage is a concern)
3.? Seen some things about flashing BIOS, cmos, batters, etc, but not sure if they apply in this situation since the build was fine before the PSU died.

Thanks!

Geoff

Solution
My original PSU, which failed, was Cooler Master. I tried swapping in a Corsair, and it didn't work. The new Cooler Master did.

What is the 'it' you are saying I burned, and how? If you're suggesting that the Corsair damaged the old mobo, I don't see any indication of that - no scorching, nothing. It never even powered up, and a short test showed no power was making it to the mobo (likely because of either cable incapatibility, or improper cable seating at the supply), so that seems unlikely.

Thanks,
Geoff
you did said that cables from one PSU didnt play nice with another
thats is normal, each PSU has its own cables, they are proprietary, even if PSU side connectors looks same, internaly they are not same, wiring is different...
Oct 21, 2021
Sorry if I wasn't clear. While I initially tried to use a Corsair, it didn't work, and I then ordered a new Cooler Master unit identical to the old model, and returned the Corsair. The cables are identical, and it powers up properly now. The main concern I have now is what's causing the DRAM light.

Thanks,
Geoff

Oct 21, 2021
cooler master does not have identical psu with corsair
u burned it, end of story

My original PSU, which failed, was Cooler Master. I tried swapping in a Corsair, and it didn't work. The new Cooler Master did.

What is the 'it' you are saying I burned, and how? If you're suggesting that the Corsair damaged the old mobo, I don't see any indication of that - no scorching, nothing. It never even powered up, and a short test showed no power was making it to the mobo (likely because of either cable incapatibility, or improper cable seating at the supply), so that seems unlikely.

Thanks,
Geoff

Thanks,
Geoff
you did said that cables from one PSU didnt play nice with another
thats is normal, each PSU has its own cables, they are proprietary, even if PSU side connectors looks same, internaly they are not same, wiring is different
if you use cables from another PSU then youl be sending incorrect voltages to devices

see corsair or coolermaster cable types, they have list of cable types which can be interchanged between PSUs (PSUs from same company, different model)
https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Solution