Question DRAM or Boot+VGA light on motherboard (new build)

Jun 2, 2023
Problem description

This is my first build. Any help would be appreciated - I've been trying to get this PC work for a hot minute. I got the build from the "good intel build" on PCPartPicker.com (here's the part list). https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JrBC3y

There's two different problems (for both problems, the fans and some LED lights turn on). The first is I get a DRAM light on the motherboard. This happens when I have 1 stick of Ram in the A2 spot (only works with 1 particular RAM stick - if I use the other in the A2, I get a different error). I've also tried changing the placement as per some people online, but I still get a DRAM light when I put 1 stick into B1 and the other stick into B2. I also get the VGA and Boot lights turning on when using the other stick into the A2 spot, or when I use both sticks (A2 and B2 slots).

What I've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem:

I've tried the following:
  • Made sure the 8x socket was plugged into the CPU plug near the CPU (was 8 pin to 8 pin)
  • Didn't install standoffs, but they were pre-installed
  • Took out the video card and put it back in a couple times. Also, I tried this without the video card, since I read the intel cards without an "F" at the end should be able to run without a dedicated GPU
  • Attached two 6+2 connectors from the PSU to the GPU. Also tried it without the GPU.
  • Tried with 1 stick of RAM. Have two sticks, one by itself gives me a DRAM light. The other gives Boot+VGA lights.
  • Took the RAM sticks out and re-inserted them. Not sure how to check if they're all the way in, but the pins snap back to their original placement.
  • Using the A2+B2 RAM slots (also tried each stick one at a time into the A2 slot, and then the RAM sticks into the B1+B2 slot - even though it says it will slow it down if it is plugged into B1+B2, I read that it can help it get past the initial errors)
  • Checked the plastic guard (it's in a box, not on the CPU)
  • CPU fan is running when the box turns on
  • Tried resetting the CMOS 2 times
I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't want to blindly start replacing parts, so any direction or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? I'd throw it away asap and pick up a reliably built PSU then try powering the system. You could also try and relieve some pressure from the mount on the cooler to see if that changes anything but that PSU is a no-no.

Jun 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? I'd throw it away asap and pick up a reliably built PSU.
Thanks for the welcome and the comment!

The PSU is brand new (at least, I ordered a new one). I'm also fairly tech illiterate, so I chose it based on the high wattage, but I'm seeing it's bronze rating is poor relative to other ones. Do you think that's one of the more likely reasons for the computer PCS LEDs lighting up?

Problem description

This is my first build. Any help would be appreciated - I've been trying to get this PC work for a hot minute. I got the build from the "good intel build" on PCPartPicker.com (here's the part list). https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JrBC3y

There's two different problems (for both problems, the fans and some LED lights turn on). The first is I get a DRAM light on the motherboard. This happens when I have 1 stick of Ram in the A2 spot (only works with 1 particular RAM stick - if I use the other in the A2, I get a different error). I've also tried changing the placement as per some people online, but I still get a DRAM light when I put 1 stick into B1 and the other stick into B2. I also get the VGA and Boot lights turning on when using the other stick into the A2 spot, or when I use both sticks (A2 and B2 slots).

What I've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem:

I've tried the following:
  • Made sure the 8x socket was plugged into the CPU plug near the CPU (was 8 pin to 8 pin)
  • Didn't install standoffs, but they were pre-installed
  • Took out the video card and put it back in a couple times. Also, I tried this without the video card, since I read the intel cards without an "F" at the end should be able to run without a dedicated GPU
  • Attached two 6+2 connectors from the PSU to the GPU. Also tried it without the GPU.
  • Tried with 1 stick of RAM. Have two sticks, one by itself gives me a DRAM light. The other gives Boot+VGA lights.
  • Took the RAM sticks out and re-inserted them. Not sure how to check if they're all the way in, but the pins snap back to their original placement.
  • Using the A2+B2 RAM slots (also tried each stick one at a time into the A2 slot, and then the RAM sticks into the B1+B2 slot - even though it says it will slow it down if it is plugged into B1+B2, I read that it can help it get past the initial errors)
  • Checked the plastic guard (it's in a box, not on the CPU)
  • CPU fan is running when the box turns on
  • Tried resetting the CMOS 2 times
I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't want to blindly start replacing parts, so any direction or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
Take the mobo out of the case and put it on a piece of cardboard.

Connect.....psu+mobo+cpu/hsf+one stick of ram.
Power up.....if it won't post your down to 4 parts.