DRAM Prices May Drop Five Percent In 2018

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Lol, sweet dreams

Samsung and other ram companies are such scumbags that they now openely admit that they will "slow down production" to "keep current prices". Current prices that are result of their shameless price fixing.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
"The revised forecast from DRAMeXchange shows that the server DRAM and PC DRAM markets could suffer a price drop as great as five percent."

Consumers have been suffering for 2 years. Let the markets suffer for a while.

Giroro

Splendid
awesome. Now instead of being double the price that it should be at, DRAM will be negligibly less than that.

And by double what it should be at, I mean double the price per gigabyte I paid almost 6 years ago.

hannibal

Distinguished
Six year ago there was competition... not anymore. Hopefully some new company could afford to come to the market, to make a difference! But new factories are so expensive that it is not likely

compprob237

Distinguished
A whole 5%?! We should be thankful for such a great discount! /s
In 2016 I paid $80 for a 2x8GB DDR4-2400 kit. That very same kit, last I checked, was sitting at $150-$160. 5% drop in price? Drop dead.

Tanyac

Reputable
Any price drop is welcome. But I don't think it's going to create any significant increase in demand.
I purchased a F4-3200C16Q-32GTZ kit in 2016 for $249. That same kit is now selling for as much as $799 depending on retailer, but no less than $569.

5% off either of those prices is still going to result in prices of between $540 and $759. Still massively inflated. Such price drops also typically do not reach UK, AUS and some EU states.

Then we have to consider Samsung's move to keep prices high and fixed.
Consumers definitely need some relief. There is virtually no segment of the component industry that hasn't been hit with massive price hikes and price fixing. Taking everything into consideration, though, I think the consumer reaction to this anticipated drop is going to be "Yawn".

EDIT: Prices in AUD

TRENDING THREADS