[SOLVED] Dram qled no post

Nov 16, 2021
Hi just recently finished building this computer and when I went to power it up the dram qled stayed on. I am pretty sure it's something with the bios version but I have no idea which to go to nor if it's 100% the issue. I know the ram isn't the problem as I tried it on different computers and it worked fine. I also tried using the bios flashback and the green light stayed solid so is that a sign that it's the problem?

Hardware
  • ryzen 5 5600g
  • b550 plus (wifi)
  • 2 8gb ddr4 3600mghz ripjaws
  • Radeon 6600

Solution
Hi Smoggers (y) and Welcome to the Forum :)

If the DRAM_LED stays lit during the POST cycle then there is an issue with your RAM and POST will not continue till the error is fixed. Just because your Dimms work in another system does not mean they will work with yours.

Your MB supports up to 4866Mhz so no problems there however your Ryzen 5 5600g supports up to 3200Mhz. This maybe your problem as there is no guarantee you will reach the rated speed of 3600Mhz OC due to the limitation of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip.

To check for a memory mismatch please list the P/N or SKU of the RAM kit your using? The P/N will be located on the packaging or on the modules themselves.

An update to Bios and...

If the DRAM_LED stays lit during the POST cycle then there is an issue with your RAM and POST will not continue till the error is fixed. Just because your Dimms work in another system does not mean they will work with yours.

Your MB supports up to 4866Mhz so no problems there however your Ryzen 5 5600g supports up to 3200Mhz. This maybe your problem as there is no guarantee you will reach the rated speed of 3600Mhz OC due to the limitation of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip.

To check for a memory mismatch please list the P/N or SKU of the RAM kit your using? The P/N will be located on the packaging or on the modules themselves.

An update to Bios and Chipset is recommended however from what you describe the Flashback was unsuccessful if the flashback button remains lit solid.

Issues with flashback are commonly:
  1. Incorrect format for your USB which must be FAT32 single partition.
  2. Wrong USB port used. (Check your manual page 1-7 for rear I/O features and you must use port 2)
  3. Bios file not renamed correctly (rename to TGB550PW.CAP before transferring file to USB
  4. System has to be shut down so there is only power to the MB.
If you can get into your Bios then you can use the EZ Flash3 utility to update Bios. In this case any USB port can be read.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 16, 2021

An update to Bios and Chipset is recommended however from what you describe the Flashback was unsuccessful if the flashback button remains lit solid.

Issues with flashback are commonly:
  1. Incorrect format for your USB which must be FAT32 single partition.
  2. Wrong USB port used. (Check your manual page 1-7 for rear I/O features and you must use port 2)
  3. Bios file not renamed correctly (rename to TGB550PW.CAP before transferring file to USB
  4. System has to be shut down so there is only power to the MB.
If you can get into your Bios then you can use the EZ Flash3 utility to update Bios. In this case any USB port can be read.
I will have to try that but one thing I noticed was when I had the io shield installed, it was holding down the flashback the entire time so I had to remove it so it wouldn't hold it down. Thats when I noticed that the light was just staying on. Never tried updating the bios yet so will try that next. I can get the ram sku when I'm home

Lets wait and see if your Bios update is successful and the error with your I/O is fixed.

The G.Skill Ripjaws you have are a tested kit and listed on the MB QVL.

They are an excellent kit with Samsung B=die chips so should work well.
As they are OC RAM your CPU may be the limitation so you may have to downclock slightly by manually changing your Timings, Frequency and voltage in Bios once updated.
For testing purposes just have one module in slot B2 then if the system boots, add the other module so both B2 and A2 are occupied.
You may need to up Dram voltage however do not exceed 1.4V and do it in .01V steps.
Use the timings as recommended at 16-16-16-32 and if no luck then test with command rate set to 2t instead of 1t.
If nothing works then you may have to return them for a kit at 3200Mhz.

Nov 16, 2021
Lets wait and see if your Bios update is successful and the error with your I/O is fixed.

The G.Skill Ripjaws you have are a tested kit and listed on the MB QVL.

They are an excellent kit with Samsung B=die chips so should work well.
As they are OC RAM your CPU may be the limitation so you may have to downclock slightly by manually changing your Timings, Frequency and voltage in Bios once updated.
For testing purposes just have one module in slot B2 then if the system boots, add the other module so both B2 and A2 are occupied.
You may need to up Dram voltage however do not exceed 1.4V and do it in .01V steps.
Use the timings as recommended at 16-16-16-32 and if no luck then test with command rate set to 2t instead of 1t.
If nothing works then you may have to return them for a kit at 3200Mhz.
Alright will try that thanks!

InvalidError

Titan
That shouldn't be a problem since motherboards should boot with a baseline JEDEC profile by default until you get into BIOS and either enable XMP or manually enter a higher performance profile precisely because there is a high probability that loading aggressive profiles by default substantially increases the likelihood of unrecoverable no-boot condition. When I put my i5-11400 together, it defaulted to 2133 despite having 3200 DRAM and 3200 being officially supported on Rocket Lake.

Nov 16, 2021
That shouldn't be a problem since motherboards should boot with a baseline JEDEC profile by default until you get into BIOS and either enable XMP or manually enter a higher performance profile precisely because there is a high probability that loading aggressive profiles by default substantially increases the likelihood of unrecoverable no-boot condition. When I put my i5-11400 together, it defaulted to 2133 despite having 3200 DRAM and 3200 being officially supported on Rocket Lake.
Same thing happened to me on my first build. It's the same ram except different cpu my build has a ryzen 5 3600x. I really think the problem has to do with the bios considering the io shield held down the flashback for a good amount of time but still not to sure. Going to try to update it

Nov 16, 2021
Fixed it! Updating bios fixed everything thanks again for the help everyone. If anyone needs a fix I updated bios and make sure the USB is formatted correctly

InvalidError

Titan
Fixed it! Updating bios fixed everything thanks again for the help everyone. If anyone needs a fix I updated bios and make sure the USB is formatted correctly
The Ryzen 5000-series APUs like the 5600G are much newer than 500-series motherboard, so the likelihood of the BIOS on motherboards launched a long time ago being too old to support the new APUs was very high.

Looks like all your motherboard needed was a BIOS update all along. Given how much trouble most of AMD's platforms have over the first many months from launch, that should be the default first step for practically all new motherboards.

Nov 16, 2021
The Ryzen 5000-series APUs like the 5600G are much newer than 500-series motherboard, so the likelihood of the BIOS on motherboards launched a long time ago being too old to support the new APUs was very high.

Looks like all your motherboard needed was a BIOS update all along. Given how much trouble most of AMD's platforms have over the first many months from launch, that should be the default first step for practically all new motherboards.
Yea most likely that was the issue. I switched to the latest version of bios for my mobo so i assume it makes perfect sense. Thanks again for all the help got worried when qled turned on but glad its sorted out