Question Dram voltage higher than what I set it too

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
I set my Dram voltage to 1.4 however in HW monitor it says its at 1.456 and in BIOS its going way over this. Any ideas?

Ram is Patriot 4400Mhz

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Much more information needed:

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

HW monitor may simply be truncating the voltage.

What voltage is being reported in BIOS?

Spec information is in my signature apart from got 5600x processor and that new ram with windows 10. BIOS was showing 1.465 steady and now my CPU has failed and can't post. So prehaps this high voltage has blew up my CPU? Asked about it an another thread but noones helping.

Ralston18

Titan
I normally do not "show" signatures.

What was the source/guidance that you used to set the Dram voltage to 1.4 volts? Reference?

What "way over" voltage is shown in BIOS?

How old is that EVGA 650 Watt PSU? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

I will look for your other thread and either merge it with this thread or delete it as a duplicate.

Edit: Your other thread appears to have been resolved by via MSI. That thread should be closed for further comments.

Update this thread as necessary to restate the remaining problem(s) and address the current questions above.

Last edited:

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
I normally do not "show" signatures.

What was the source/guidance that you used to set the Dram voltage to 1.4 volts? Reference?

What "way over" voltage is shown in BIOS?

How old is that EVGA 650 Watt PSU? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

I will look for your other thread and either merge it with this thread or delete it as a duplicate.

Edit: Your other thread appears to have been resolved by via MSI. That thread should be closed for further comments.

Update this thread as necessary to restate the remaining problem(s) and address the current questions above.

Guidance was the Dram calculator which the fast is working well now about to memtest. Also several youtube videos and previous experience oc ram. 1.40-1.45 is the usual safe zone although preferably should be low as you can get away with IK. Way over voltage (1.465 I was maybe exadurating way over) is shown in bios to the left of the actual voltage where I set manually. (at DRAM Voltage data entry.

It is still showing same 1.465 in BIOS now but on HWmonitor is saying 1.456V steady so I am somewhat happy with that. Also with BIOS update to beta version has made OC ram much easier and ive pushed it way beyond I did before. Slow timings on DRAM calulator didn't work before (mass of blue screens and eventual CPU error/fail) The BIOS patch was fairly recent too so I guess MSI saw these issues and fixed them.

The EVGA 650 gold is about a year old just casual gaming don't heavily use it. Done a little video editing and ripping to CD's films, music ect. Thanks for responding anyway. About to run the memtest on it.