Question DRAM Yellow led glowing continously on my rog strix b450-e gaming motherboard

Aug 9, 2019
Hi All,
I have a new built a week 5 days ago
  • Ryzen 7 2700x
  • Rog strix b450-e gaming motherboard
  • Kingston Hyperx 2400mhz ram : 2*16gb (HX424C15FB/16)
Since starting i was having issues like frequent Bsod, screen hanging on bios and sometimes when I was logged into windows., one or two times no display on monitor when pc booted.
I tried every possible method which is available online but nothing worked.
Then I removed one of the ram's to see if that helps and windows worked for a while but then again bsod popped up.
I tried swapping already installed ram with the one I removed to test with it but then monitor went black with system not booting and I realised dram yellow light was glowing indicating memory issue. I tried all the 4 slots with both ram's but light still glows.
Please someone could suggest what could be the issue..

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
That RAM is on the QVL (Memory Compatibility List) for your Motherboard:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B450-E_GAMING/pinnacle.pdf
So technically it should work.

Did you buy those 2 sticks in a single (2x16 GB) kit or as separate sticks ?
This link to that pat number shows 1 single stick Not a set of 2:
https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?partId=HX424C15FB/16
If they did Not come together in a kit, then they are Not guaranteed to work together.

I would put whichever stick originally worked in the 2nd slot from the CPU and then Clear the CMOS and Reboot and see if it will POST.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
That RAM is on the QVL (Memory Compatibility List) for your Motherboard:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B450-E_GAMING/pinnacle.pdf
So technically it should work.

Did you buy those 2 sticks in a single (2x16 GB) kit or as separate sticks ?
This link to that pat number shows 1 single stick Not a set of 2:
https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?partId=HX424C15FB/16
If they did Not come together in a kit, then they are Not guaranteed to work together.

I would put whichever stick originally worked in the 2nd slot from the CPU and then Clear the CMOS and Reboot and see if it will POST.

Thanks for the response. I buyed these sticks separately but both have same part number. So do you mean that I should have buyed two sticks together in a kit and that kit will have different part number?

Also even with no ram sticks in slots the yellow light glows. Does it indicates motherboard issue or it is just glowing because of empty slots.?

And what about bsod's that keep popping out of nowhere when system was running. Will your suggestion solve that problem aswell?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Yes they should have been bought in a 2 stick kit because then that means that they were tested together and are known to be compatible.

If there is No RAM installed the yellow light will stay lit because there is No RAM.

As for the BSOD's, Once you get it to POST and can get into the BIOS then I recommend that you run Memtest86 on that RAM stick that allowed you to Boot.
After that try with just the other RAM stick installed and if it will boot, run MemTest on that stick as well.

If both sticks pass Memtest86 without any errors you know that the RAM sticks are good but just won't work together on your MB.

Aug 9, 2019
Yes they should have been bought in a 2 stick kit because then that means that they were tested together and are known to be compatible.

If there is No RAM installed the yellow light will stay lit because there is No RAM.

As for the BSOD's, Once you get it to POST and can get into the BIOS then I recommend that you run Memtest86 on that RAM stick that allowed you to Boot.
After that try with just the other RAM stick installed and if it will boot, run MemTest on that stick as well.

If both sticks pass Memtest86 without any errors you know that the RAM sticks are good but just won't work together on your MB.

I am did try memtest86 to test ram's when system was working to solve bsod problem. It reached upto test 3, pass 2/4, with no errors but it then hanged and I had to abort the test.
I am going to my vendor to check ram issue today. Lets see how it goes

Reactions: DMAN999
Aug 9, 2019
I am did try memtest86 to test ram's when system was working to solve bsod problem. It reached upto test 3, pass 2/4, with no errors but it then hanged and I had to abort the test.
I am going to my vendor to check ram issue today. Lets see how it goes
I went to vendor. He checked and it turned out to be ram issue. New ram sticks are corsair now. It's working fine since ram replacement yesterday.. However fingers crossed.. 🤞😊

Reactions: DMAN999

TRENDING THREADS