DRAM_LED flashes red and PC won't boot properly. Help please!

Kaolru

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
This happened out of nowhere. I built my rig almost three years ago. Everything was fine and then suddenly I was trying to watch Shark Week online and my PC randomly restarted itself. After booting back up I tried watching the stream again and it did the same thing. I decided something must be up and just started drawing with my art program instead. Again everything was fine and I went to bed that night with the rig still on. Middle of the night it started to shut down and restart, shut down and restart. I just turned it off and tried again the next day. Same thing.

When I try to boot it up the DRAM_LED will flash once super quick, then light up a second time for about two seconds, then shuts off. It will boot in safe mode, but will still shut down randomly. It will boot with command prompt, but not with networking.

Next day it would boot normally, but only stay on for a few minutes, 20 at max, and then restart itself in an endless cycle until I shut it down.

I've switched the RAM around and made sure it was seated securely, but it changed nothing. I have no idea what could be causing this very sudden issue apart from maybe a power supply issue?

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 16GB (8GB x 2)
PSU: EVGA - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
CPU: AMD FX 8120
GPU: EVGA GTX 960

Kaolru

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015

CPU hasn't been moved in two years, so a bent pin seems unlikely.
I don't have any other systems to test parts on, but I'll figure something out. I truly don't think it's the RAM, but I've definitely been wrong before.
Which LED staying on are you referring to? That red LED doesn't stay on. It flashes twice and goes off.