opel65

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Hello!

I am having problem with GeForce 9600 GS. With this graphic card I was able to run games such as Call of Duty World at War with 80 fps on lowest graphics. ( I think this is very low for this graphic card )

Recently my computer had to do an energency shut down due to overheating. After it cooled down I checked that the GPU fan has drastically dropped its speed. I asked my brother for help and he was able to adjust the fan speed to its fullest potential in the NVIDIA control panel. Now when I'm running the game I am down at 30 - 50 fps which makes it unplayable.

I'm not really into computers and had no idea that this graphic card was this bad when I bought the computer 2/3 years ago. Is there anything I can do to get my fps back up? And can this drop in fps be explained somehow?

opel65

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I checked it, it didnt seem to fail on my other PC.

Btw there are my computer specs, don't you think I should be able to play this game with much better fps?

Inter Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600GS
1 Terabyte hard drive

opel65

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
My screen is 1600x1050 but I'm running the game at 1280x1024 because any higher and i get below 20fps which is just bad...

So any other ideas why the fps dropped? Or at least any ideas how I might be able to higher it? Maybe editing cpu usage for the game or something? I'm not really sure.

yeah i mean your current rig is only going to get you so far, even at 12X10 not to mention that your 9600gs is nothing special, no offense but this is why your performance is crappy... do you have at least a 7200 rpm hard drive? Also what kind of psu do you have, i assume the 9600 does not draw much power but if your psu is not supply enough power to the gpu it could cause performance degradation if your worried about getting below 20 fps then reduce settings, your cpu could use a little overclock and you could upgrade your gpu if you wanna keep the C2Q which is not that bad if you can oc it a bit, but all in all it sounds a little suspicious if the drops are that drastic unless it is just unrealistic to accomplish your desired settings with the 9600gs, your cpu should not be holding that back much imo, however i still think you could benefit from a cpu OC.

opel65

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Yeah I think this is a hardware problem. Since the burnout I've noticed the fan making a silent ratteling noise. The problem is that this is a HP which - if I'm correct - are designed not to be able to switch hardware, not the major parts at least. I was going to upgrade my graphic card once but noticed that the one I wanted to buy wouldn't fit in the slim computer case.

Any advice?

(sorry for mistakes Im in a hurry)

opel65

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I tested it on my brothers computer. The fps on his machine were around 80 with the forementioned settings. Although I should probably add that his computer has much greater hardware then mine.

That sudden shutdown certainly did something to one of your parts.
You checked the PSU and GPU, the only 2 components remaining are the RAM and motherboard.
Test your RAM in your brother's PC(along with your 9600GS) and check the FPS.
Also,does your motherboard have another PCI-E slot? (to test the card in it)