Build Advice Dream PC Build

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

N1njaDestr0yer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Hello There,

I am in the market to build me some "new" gaming PCs and was curious as to what you could recommend for these PCs, Also I do have around $2,050 so yeah id like to use the money before I lose it...

PC#1:
i7 10700k - z490 Mobo
32GB of RAM
1080Ti 8GB (I was going to go for a 3070Ti, but consitering how the GPU market is right now... Proably best to find whatever I can get a bargain on, Yes I am aware that this is a 7 year old GPU)
500GB M.2 SSD (Boot Drive)
x2 1TB SSDs (Games + other stuff)
750W PSU

If there was any money left over I was wanting to get enough parts to get a PC to boot to bios while waiting for other parts

PC#2:
i7 6800k - x99 Mobo?
24-32GB of RAM (undecided)
GPU: Undecied, I know I want an 8GB model, But not from Gigabyte or Zotac.. POS
480GB SSD (Boot Drive)
2TB SSD (Games + Music, etc)....
750W PSU

If this can work let me know, Or if it can't... Oh well better luck next time

-N1nja

Last edited:

N1njaDestr0yer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Again I said it once but I'd rather have a CPU that has an iGPU onboard for diaganosing problems (like Virus Removal, RAM Failure or whatever problem that may turn up out of nowhere) I know the 12700F/12700KF have "good" performance but just like having a K variant of a popluar CPU, and yes I am aware that the i5 12600k has almost the same performance as a 12700k but ~30% cheaper... But I still think if your going to build a Gaming PC and budget is not a problem go with an i7 since they offer better performance over any i5's from Sky Lake to Coffee Lake.... then again this is what goes through my head when I think of a gaming PC (yes I know AMD has had some good offerings, but I prefer Intel CPUs since they are what got me into PC Gaming)

If anyone was curious this is my PCPartPicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PNfycb for my 12700k I left the Case and GPU blank because of the GPU shortage were in right now, and the case well I wasn't sure which ATX case to go for.. I don't need any "fancy" RGB cases looks nice but not necessary in my instance

Last edited:
Again I said it once but I'd rather have a CPU that has an iGPU onboard for diaganosing problems (like Virus Removal, RAM Failure or whatever problem that may turn up out of nowhere) I know the 12700F/12700KF have "good" performance but just like having a K variant of a popluar CPU, and yes I am aware that the i5 12600k has almost the same performance as a 12700k but ~30% cheaper... But I still think if your going to build a Gaming PC and budget is not a problem go with an i7 since they offer better performance over any i5's from Sky Lake to Coffee Lake.... then again this is what goes through my head when I think of a gaming PC (yes I know AMD has had some good offerings, but I prefer Intel CPUs since they are what got me into PC Gaming)

If anyone was curious this is my PCPartPicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PNfycb for my 12700k I left the Case and GPU blank because of the GPU shortage were in right now, and the case well I wasn't sure which ATX case to go for.. I don't need any "fancy" RGB cases looks nice but not necessary in my instance
Solid build ^^

I'd look to make these changes.

First off you need Windows 11 in order to run these Alder Lake cpu's with the big/little cores.

Windows 11 Home USB Flash Drive | 2021 Version | Lifetime License $129.00

That cpu cooler probably won't clear those tall heat spreaders on that G.Skill. Look for RAM such as Crucial or Corsair with low profile heat spreaders.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC4-25600-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07RW6Z692/
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 32GB (2X16GB) CL16 $124.99

Change your Windows SSD to an M.2 drive so that you have less cables to deal with. They're not only faster, but they make for a cleaner build.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S500B/dp/B07M7Q21N7/
SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB M.2 NVMe Internal SSD $69.99

N1njaDestr0yer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Alder Lake needs Windows 11? Aww man I thought I could get away with windows 10, the CPU cooler was a suggestion, I knew I was going to have to change it anyways... I didn't want to have to mess with any PCIE expansion cards or anything like that... Maybe I'm just old school and prefer the 2.5" SSDs instead of M.2 SSDs since they are placed way too close to the PCIEx16 slots... and the RAM was just like the CPU cooler, I knew I was going to need to change it anyways..

Alder Lake needs Windows 11? Aww man I thought I could get away with windows 10, the CPU cooler was a suggestion, I knew I was going to have to change it anyways... I didn't want to have to mess with any PCIE expansion cards or anything like that... Maybe I'm just old school and prefer the 2.5" SSDs instead of M.2 SSDs since they are placed way too close to the PCIEx16 slots... and the RAM was just like the CPU cooler, I knew I was going to need to change it anyways..
Keep the cpu cooler and change the RAM.

I wasn't sure which ATX case to go for.. I don't need any "fancy" RGB
as i previously posted,
below is a "wishlist" i had configured over a few years of some of the nicer ones i had seen with better options,
even though a large portion of them have been out of stock in a lot of places shopping around will usually turn up something good,
i still always recommend the be quiet! Silent Base 802 over any other recently released models:

https://newegg.io/e44c8a5

N1njaDestr0yer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
You can buy a genuine copy of Windows 10 for penny's and use the key to install Windows 11. I got Windows 10 Pro for $35. What sort of games are you playing, what frame rates and resolution?
Some old Source 1 games, Modded Minecraft, Payday 2, and GTA V I am curious to try newer releases, like Far Cry 3 to Far Cry 5, Battlefield V or 1942 and that zombie game made by the Left for Dead devs, forgot the name... my current resolution is 1920x1080, I do want to upgrade to x2 matching 27' 1440 monitors some time down the line...

N1njaDestr0yer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
I still will be needing some GPUs too A friend of mine I chat with on steam says that a 1080Ti w/ 11GB of GDDR5 will still be good, but I kinda feel like a 1000 series card will be very dated, but the 1080Ti was the king at 1080p gaming in it's hayday.... and what GPU should I look into for my 4770k PC? After my Gigabyte 590 crap'd out on me that PC just runs on it's iGPU right now

the 1080Ti was the king at 1080p gaming in it's hayday
this has already been discussed here but,
a GTX 1080 Ti cannot handle newer games @ 1440p with good settings and higher refresh rates.
if you're sticking with lower-mid settings and ≤60fps it will do good for now.
for a 1080p build they are still a good choice though if you don't want to use RT, DLSS, or other newer features.

if considering 2x 1440p displays, the 1080 Ti will do horribly with most games.
instead of looking at 2x displays you should take some time looking into ultra-wide and super ultra-wides.
the experience is 100% better than using two separate screens.
after using my first 21:9 screen i would never go back to 16:9 for my desktop.

GPUs are becoming more & more available as time goes by.
you can get a nice RX 6800 or 6800 XT right now even for MSRP.
have also been seeing some of the RTX 3080 & 3080 Ti available lately.

but the best bet is still to sign up for the Newegg Shuffle each morning it's open and see what is offered.
what GPU should I look into for my 4770k PC?
if still playing older games on it a GTX 900 series should be more than fine.

but if you will have this new system readily available why do you want to bother with this thing for gaming?
one only for kids, one strictly for yourself?
some sort of divorce situation where you have one at a mother's, one at a father's?..

N1njaDestr0yer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
My 4770k System (was my 1sty Gaming PC that I built and I would like to keep it) but I have plans to make into my backup PC just incase if I need to have access to a PC when my 12700k system goes down for whatever reason....

Or I may sell the 4770k PC and build a PC with a "newer" i7 onboard, IDK yet

Last edited:
4770k System is going to be my backup
never a bad idea.
still keep my 8700K / Z370 build around just for those purposes...

so you shouldn't really worry about getting a nice secondary graphics card just for this system since you won't actually be doing any gaming on it.
just search for any old used known functioning AMD or Nvidia PCIe x16 card for troubleshooting if needed.

Is a 4770k, good for video editing/streaming? Or should I not bother doing any of those tasks
not if/when you have a more powerful and more efficient system built.

the time it would take this 4770K + GTX 980 to complete the same video transcoding as a 12700K + RTX 3080 could be up to 8x as long, possibly quite a bit longer depending on the parameters set for this video.

N1njaDestr0yer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
I hate to be that thorn in anyone's side, but I am curious as to when it would be a good time to build that PC I wanted to construct, since GPU Mining is waning so I am curious would it be a "good" time to build the PC or wait, just in case the GPU mining boom comes back into full swing?

I was aiming around sometime early/mid April I could build the PC, but I don't think that's possible... Or could it?

I am curious would it be a "good" time to build the PC
i haven't had any issues getting systems built over the last year besides waiting for the actual GPU i wanted.
but these last couple weeks every time i look there are more and more RTX 3000 & RX 6000 cards available all over for MSRP.

if a specific case is out of stock somewhere shop around until you find it for a similar price.
same for motherboards, memory, everything.

just yesterday i put together a full Z690 build for a friend of mine with good prices all at MSRP.
the full build listing includes both **air tower cooler & AIO liquid cooler due to them not being able to decide at the time.
also includes both windowed & solid panel of the same case due to them also not being able to decide.
if you want to check it out and see if parts are all still available:
12th Gen Z690 RTX 3070 Ti

**keep in mind this Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler is specifically designed for a Threadripper installation.
for this Intel setup it will either need additional parts from be quiet! or their standard version of the same cooler.
this is only included in this list as a placeholder.

Last edited:

N1njaDestr0yer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
There also was the Noctua NH-D15 i could use instead of the Dark Rock Pro 4 when it becomes unavailable, but I know that won't matter since I was aiming to use the i7 12700k in the new PC, But I still think an i7 is better for some/most tasks like Video Editing, Gaming... But didn't the i5 12600k have almost the same performance as the 12700k but for 20-30% cheaper??

But didn't the i5 12600k have almost the same performance as the 12700k but for 20-30% cheaper?
yes.
the 12600K pretty much matches the 12700K in performance in games.

but the i7 has 8 P-cores + 4 E-cores, while the i5 has 6 P-cores + 4 E-cores.
so the i7 has a few more threads available that help with certain workloads.

and the 12700K currently comes with Dying Light 2 bundled!

the Noctua NH-D15 i could use instead of the Dark Rock Pro 4
definitely, the NH-D15 chromax is a very nice cooler.

N1njaDestr0yer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
One random thing sometime down the line I would like to update my "backup" PC to a "newer" i7 CPU, I think I would want to go with either an i7 6800k or an i7 8700k.... The i7 4770k works but I would like to update to something newer.... I'm just not sure how much longer a 4770k can stay relevant and output "good" FPS... in future years since maybe Raptor Lake or someother newer generation of CPU that could blow a 4770k out of the water. In terms of performance in what ever newer game titles that come out

Last edited:
i haven't had any issues getting systems built over the last year besides waiting for the actual GPU i wanted.
but these last couple weeks every time i look there are more and more RTX 3000 & RX 6000 cards available all over for MSRP.

if a specific case is out of stock somewhere shop around until you find it for a similar price.
same for motherboards, memory, everything.

just yesterday i put together a full Z690 build for a friend of mine with good prices all at MSRP.
the full build listing includes both **air tower cooler & AIO liquid cooler due to them not being able to decide at the time.
also includes both windowed & solid panel of the same case due to them also not being able to decide.
if you want to check it out and see if parts are all still available:
12th Gen Z690 RTX 3070 Ti

**keep in mind this Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler is specifically designed for a Threadripper installation.
for this Intel setup it will either need additional parts from be quiet! or their standard version of the same cooler.
this is only included in this list as a placeholder.
The TR in TR4 stands for 'Threadripper'.

This is the cpu cooler you want for Intel / Ryzen.

https://www.amazon.com/quiet-Dark-Rock-BK022-Cooler/dp/B07BY6F8D9/
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, BK022, 250W TDP, CPU Cooler $89.90

Reactions: Why_Me
in future years since maybe Raptor Lake or someother newer generation of CPU that could blow a 4770k out of the water. In terms of performance in what ever newer game titles that come out
the current 12th gen Alder Lake series already blows the previous 11th gen Rocket Lake series 'out of the water' in terms of gaming.
so anything prior to that would be even more so.