News Drilling a Hole Fixed a Defective Radeon RX 690XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
However, the video report does not touch upon whether the manipulation of the memory trace length affects performance.
The fix should have no effect on performance whatsoever. Either the fix is good enough to achieve the signal integrity and timing required for whatever the signal is to make it through at whatever timings the firmware is setting or it isn't and causes glitches.

Tonet666

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
That dude is master on his GPU repairing skill. Love his video and Northwestrepair channel too. Learned so much on how to diagnose e gpu problem

D

Deleted member 431422

The problem was odd, a damaged via connecting a pad under the GPU to 13th layer. It looked like corrosion. I'm not sure how a via, could get damaged, especially in such a place.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

InvalidError

Titan
The problem was odd, a damaged via connecting a pad under the GPU to 13th layer. It looked like corrosion. I'm not sure how a via, could get damaged, especially in such a place.
Could have been trapped water from a PCB cleaning step, such as one of those pressure-washed ex-mining cards. (Haven't watched the video, just guessing.)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The fix should have no effect on performance whatsoever. Either the fix is good enough to achieve the signal integrity and timing required for whatever the signal is to make it through at whatever timings the firmware is setting or it isn't and causes glitches.
Could it potentially affect overclocking? I.e. the limits of what the fix can support are sufficient for stock settings, but still worse than the limits of the original trace?

InvalidError

Titan
Could it potentially affect overclocking? I.e. the limits of what the fix can support are sufficient for stock settings, but still worse than the limits of the original trace?
Anything that might possibly screw around with signal integrity can do that. Though if your GPU just got brought back from the dead, I'd imagine most people wouldn't be in such a hurry to send it back to hell after shelling out however much the guy charges for his repairs.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

InvalidError

Titan
Please please please don't let this drilling 'fix' propagate like the oven baking 'fix'.

A singularly weird temporary fix for a single specific part, for a singularly weird fault on a single specific part.
Baking PCBs is a legitimate thing to try when you suspect you are having a cracked ball type issue and the next stop would otherwise be the e-waste bin.

Drilling through the PCB to fix a broken trace will only work if that is the only trace going through that area in the entire PCB stackup. You literally need inside-out knowledge of all routing on the board to do this and not drill through something you shouldn't have on top of having the equipment and skills to remove and re-ball a GPU BGA. I don't expect that to become a viral DIY fix.

USAFRet

Titan
Baking PCBs is a legitimate thing to try when you suspect you are having a cracked ball type issue and the next stop would otherwise be the e-waste bin.
True, but we see FAR too many people propose that as "The Fix", for a totally unknown and probably unrelated problem.

And of course, don't do this in an oven you will cook dinner in tomorrow night. etc, etc....

Reactions: BrosephJasper
Status
Not open for further replies.