[SOLVED] Drive C dissapeared (can't recovery) after BSOD critical process died

Sugiyanto93

Commendable
Dec 11, 2019
Dear all, thank you for reading this.
I used an Intel SSD 535 Series 240 GB on my PC. I have divided it into drive C and drive D. Drive C around 100 GB for Windows 10 Pro, and drive D for DATA. Recently I've been getting a lot of BSOD (critical process died). Other times I get the "boot device not found," and I have to restart my computer several times (sometimes restart BIOS) to pass this message. The last day when I use that computer, the BSOD's frequency becomes intense. Now the condition of my computer is "boot device not found."

When I checked the SSD using my laptop and Ugreen SSD Docking Station, I only found drive D. I don't see drive C or an unallocated SSD partition. I deleted all the data in drive D and got drive D Properties with capacity 223 GB (used space 10.5 GB + free space 212 GB). I tried to use new SATA cable and rebooted the computer, but the drive C (Windows 10) still disappeared. I have some important files in Desktop and My Documents. I tried to use EaseUS Partition Master 13.0 / EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and MiniTool Partition Wizard but still can't seem to fix the problem.

My computer is Asus Desktop (Maximus VIII Gene).
Specification:
Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40 GHz
RAM 16 GB

Questions:
  1. Does anyone know what happened to my SSD?
  2. I don't think I've ever formatted it, but how can drive D have a capacity of 223 GB (2 drives become one drive with data on drive D still exists)?
  3. Is there a way that can help me to make the disappeared drive C (Desktop, My Documents) show up again?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Sugiyanto93

Commendable
Dec 11, 2019
desktop or laptop?
open it up and check?
I used an Intel SSD 535 Series 240 GB on Desktop PC ASUS ROG. I tried open it up and check. I also used EaseUS Partition Master 13.0 / EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and MiniTool Partition Wizard on my laptop using Ugreen SSD Docking Station. Thanks.

Sugiyanto93

Commendable
Dec 11, 2019
open it up and check?

system spec? could be a m.2 drive?
My computer is Maximus VIII Gene.
Specification:
Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40 GHz
RAM 16 GB

I tried to open BIOS, select Advanced\Onboard Devices Configuration but only found:
  • HD Audio Controller --> Enabled
  • PCIEX4_1 Bandwidth --> Auto
  • Asmedia USB 3.1 Controller(USB3.1_EC1/USB3.1_EA2) --> Enabled
  • Asmedia USB 3.1 Battery Charging Support --> Disabled
  • USB Type C Power Switch --> Auto
  • Intel LAN Controller --> Enabled
  • Intel PXE Option ROM --> Disabled

The casing is very narrow. How to check whether the computer has any SSD technology or not?

Sugiyanto93

Commendable
Dec 11, 2019
what exact did you do with them?
I put Intel SSD 535 Series 240 GB on Ugreen SSD Docking Station. Using my laptop, I tried Partition Recovery and Data Recovery, but the result is all about files in drive D. I never see Desktop, My Documents, and Windows folder. I am not familiar with SSD technology. Maybe the computer can't detect the SSD device because I push button restart BIOS. I think reasonable if the computer has another SSD technology, but how to check it ?

Sugiyanto93

Commendable
Dec 11, 2019
check all the cable from the motherboard to any ssd device

the motherboard have a m.2 slot too. check that
I found Intel M.2 240 GB (Model: SSDSCKJW240H6) behind my graphics cards (GTX960-MOC-2GD5). But it doesn't appear in BIOS (Advanced \ Onboard Devices Configuration). What should I do now?